Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plank orientations

Options
bpric
bpric Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EGG Table Forum
I was just looking at a few of the recent table posts, and I noticed that some designs orient the planks parallel to the long edge of the table, while others ran the planks perpendicular to this edge. Are there any real functional advantages one way or the other? Or is it just a matter of cosmetics?
-- Bryan

Comments

• meginla
    meginla Posts: 19
    Options
    If you went perpendicular it think you would have more issues with splintering of the ends.
    because you be in contact with them more often.
  • Kyvette
    Options
    I'm getting ready to construct two tables and I'll run the planks parallel to the long dimension. I wouldn't want the ends facing out(perdendicular) due to end grain issues as already mentioned. The strength of your table will be determined by the legs and bracing. I know for a deck it's recommended to install planks on a 45 deg diagonal for increased strength, but on a project this small it shouldn't matter. Hopes this helps.