Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oregon Scientific AW131 Therm

Options
GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. Before my DigiQ, I had bought an Oregon Scientific AW131 Thermometer. I bought it some time last year. It worked twice and then stopped. I eventually got the two units to communicate with each other but the temp in my kitchen was reading 170F! I called Oregon Scientific this morning and was told that I needed a new probe. I asked her how the probe could be out after only using it twice. She asked me what I was using it in, to which I replied a smoker. AH HA, she said! These are not suppose to be used in smokers.

WHAT??? Are you freakin kidding me? I asked her where people use them and she said for short grilling items such as steaks. Um, my steaks cook for about 3.5 minutes. Why on earth would anyone use a wireless thermometer for grilling? She told me that the smoke penetrates the probe wire and ruins the connection. I told her that no where in the owner's manual or the web site does it tell you NOT to use this in a smoker. She apologized and suggested that I buy 4-5 probes at a time for $12.95 each + $9.95 shipping.

In hindsight, I guess wrapping the probe in tin foil might have helped? Anybody else heard such a thing with this particular unit? Absolutely freakin crazy to make a wireless thermometer that is not suppose to be used in a smoker.

Comments