Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbecue Cookbooks

SLOandSteady
SLOandSteady Posts: 210
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have a couple of cookbooks on grilling, but want to pick up a couple on barbecuing. A few that were mentioned to me by a friend include "Smoke & Spice" and Bob Gibson's book. Are there any books you really enjoy when it comes to bbq'n?

Comments

• Steve Raichlen is a great source of BBQ knowledge. "The Barbeque Bible" and "BBQ USA" are two great books.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Adam Perry Lang has some decent ones.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    I'm enjoying my newest, The Best Barbecue on Earth. By Rick Browne
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Hi, A few years ago I went to live on my own for the obvious reasons. I bought a cheapo book "Indoor grilling" by Steven Raichlen. It changed my life in a way, as I became passionate for the tastes he presented. I now own a Large BGE (in Italy it costs 3 times as much) and love cooking. I now have 105 spices in house, compared to the old salt and pepper. Thanks to him. Check out his titles and choose what suite you.
    Andy
  • There are several good ones. One of the most comprehensive is Paul Kirk's book "Championship barbeque." The Big Bob Gibson book is definitely worth having and has some great recipes and guides for BBQ. If you just had those 2, you would have a great deal of information about BBQ on your hands.

There is one by Myron Mixon due out in the next few months. It could be really good, depending on what is included in it, only time will tell!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I really enjoyed Mike Mills "Peace, Love and BBQ," which has lots of stories as well recipes.

To add to the names already mentions, books by Bobby Flay, or Eggdom's own Dr. BBQ.
  • Haha read the only 2 star review for the Paul Kirk book on amazon! Funny! Make sure to notice where the poster is from.
  • I have enjoyed Ray Dr BBQ Lampes Books
    yes all the others mentioned are good uns
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Currently am reading New Orleans Cassic Seafood & New Orleans Classic Gumbos & Soups by Kit Wohl. Gives me some ideas for my Dutch Oven cooks on BGE. This list was from another forum and has been added to over the year.

BBQ Recipes, BBQ Books, Plye's BBQ

Some one in an earlier thread asked for a list of books about BBQ. I have a little time on my hands so I trolled through Amazon and found the list below. If Phil or one of the mods could make this a sticky, it would help out the new members with building their BBQ library.

1 Anderson, Warren R. "Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food"
    2 Browne, R., "The Barbecue America Cookbook"
    3 Davis, A., "The Great BBQ Sauce Book"
    4 Elie, Lolis Eric & Frank Stewart, "Smokestack Lightning"
    5 Griffith, D., "Celebrating Barbecue"
    6 Hale, C. Clark "Smoky", "The Great American Barbeque and Grilling Manual"
    7 Jameison, Cheryl Alters & Bill, "Smoke & Spice: Cooking With Wood, the Real Way to Barbeque"
    8 Joachim David & Schloss, Andrew, "Mastering the Grill"
    9 Kahn, Lisa, Editor, "Char-Broil's Everybody Grills!"
    10 Karmel, Elizabeth, "Taming the Flame"
    11 Kirk, Paul, "Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ"
    12 Kirk, Paul, "Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces"
    13 Knote, Charlie, "Barbeque and Sausage Making Secrets"
    14 Kutak, Rytek, "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing"
    15 Lampe, Ray, "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook"
    16 Lampe, Ray, "Dr. BBQ’s Big-Time Barbeque Road Trip"
    17 Lampe, Ray, "Dr. BBQ’s “Barbeque All Year Long!” Cookbook"
    18 Lampe, Ray, "Dr BBQ,s The NFL Gameday Cookbook"
    19 Lampe, Ray & Beisch, Leigh, Ribs, Chops, Steaks and Wings
    20 Lang, Adam Perry, "Serious Barbecue"
    21 Lilly, Chris, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book: "Recipes and Secrets from a Legendary Barbecue Joint" by Chris Lilly
    22 McMeel, Andrew, :Big Green Egg Cookbook: Celebrating the World's Best Smoker & ... Big Green Egg - Andrews McMeel Publishing (2010)
    23 McPeake, Richard W, "Backyard BBQ: The Art Of Smokology"
    24 Marianski, Stanley, Adam, & Robert, "Smoking meat and Smokehouse Design"
    25 Mills, Mike & Amy Mills Tunnicliffe, "Peace, Love, and Barbeque"
    26 Purviance, James, "Weber's Charcoal Grilling"
    27 Purviance, Jamie & McRae, Sandra, "Weber's Big Book of Grilling"
    28 Purviance, James, "Weber's "Real Grilling"
    29 Putnam, Karen, "Championship BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food"
    30 Raichlen, Steven, "BBQ Bible"
    31 Raichlen. Steven, "BBQ USA"
    32 Raichlen, Steven, "How To Grill"
    33 Raichlen, Steven, "Ribs Ribs Outrageous Ribs"
    34 Raichlen, Steven, "Sauces Rubs & Marinades"
    35 Reader, Ted, "Americas Best BBQ 100 Recipes"
    36 Reed, John, Shelton, "Holy Smoke: The Big Book of North Carolina Barbecue"
    37 Reinhardt, .Julie, "She-Smoke"
    38 Schlesinger, Christopher, "The Thrill of the Grill: Techniques, Recipes, & Down-Home Barbecue"
    39 Stines, Mike, "Mastering Barbecue"
    40 Thompson, F., "Barbecue Nation"
    41 Walsh, Rob, "Legends of Texas BBQ"
    42 Willingham, John, " World Champinship Bar-B-Q"
    43 Wiviott, Gary & Rush, Coleen, "Low & Slow: Master the Art of Barbecue in 5 Easy Lessons"
    44 Worgul, Doug, "A Grand Barbeque"

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ Brethren, Pyle's BBQ, 2010/02/15
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The only BBQ cookbook I have is Raichlen's BBQ Bible. Was visiting my BIL some years ago and noticed it on his shelf. He said, "You want it? It's yours. It sucks."

I gave up after a few recipes as he was right. I'm thinking of donating it to the Fahrenheit 451 fan club. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks for the wonderful suggestions. I'll make my way to the Denver Public Library in downtown to scope a few out. These days, the only books I buy are cookbooks and investing books.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Bythebookthrowdown1.jpg

Big Bob Gibson by Chris Lilly is a good one, Peace, Love and Barcecue and Dr BBQ's first book are also full of good information..... One thing to keep in mind is not to focus too much on a "barbecue recipe", but try to master technique. When you know technique you can make many, many recipes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery