Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken (first try)

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone, I am a new BGE owner and I have not purchased the necessary equipment to cook indirectly. Is it ok to do a spatchcock chicken direct. If you can, what temp. and time frame would be best. Thanks, Brent

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Brent Johnson,[p]I think most people do spatchcock direct BUT on a raised grid. Do you have a raised grid? Do you have another grid? If you have two grids and one is not a raised grid you can jerry-rig a raised one. The simplest way I've read is to used about 3 cans, cut to a height of about 3" or so. Place those on the primary grid, then place the second grid on top of the cans.

• Pakak,
    I don't have another rack, just the one that it came with. Would you recommend doing it on the regular rack. I am supposed to cook this tonight and I won't have time to get another rack.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Brent Johnson,[p]Welcome to the forum. As soon as get get those indirect tools, try some ribs. Almost every cook I do any more is raised grid or indirect. Good luck.[p]CWM
  • Brent Johnson, You'll be OK on the rack you have direct. Place split chicken bone side down and cook at 350 for about 45 minutes and then check your skin, if you want it a bit more crispy jack the heat to 400 for a few more minutes. At 1 hour it will be done. Enjoy !!!

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Brent Johnson,[p]I've never tried it. That being said, it PROBABLY can be done. If I were to attempt it, I'd check and flip often. The problem is, the chicken is just too close to the fire. Lots of fat renders off drips down. [p]For the first time, be aware your fire needs to be well established. By this I mean - after reaching cooking temp, let it stay there for at least 10-15 minutes before putting the chicken on. Some people (myself included) have ended up with blackened chicken, and I don't mean from being burnt. I theorize it's from not having a well established fire and soot covers the bird.[p]Go to th archives. There are lots and lots of references there. Also visit The Naked Whiz's site. He has a section on spatchcocked chicken. Good luck!

• Bootheel Egger
    Options
    FatBack,[p]I agree. I actually did first one direct on the regular set-up. I did cook it 90% of the time with the cavity of the bird towards the fire and the last few minutes flipped it to get the other side a little crisp. Furthermore, my wife prefers the chicken skinless, and it still turned out great.
  • Bootheel Egger,
    Thanks for the info. guys. What type of seasoning is best for this.

• Essex County
    Options
    Brent Johnson,
    I have used several of the Dizzy Pig rubs, Emeril's essence (which you should make yourself), or one of several rubs in the new Joy of Cooking. Most add a bit of sweet/spicy flavor. I tried Nature Boy's suggestion of brushing on maple syrup near the end of the cook last time and it was excellent. [p]I always do my spatchcocked chickens direct. Sometimes the bottom gets a bit crispy but if you're the least bit careful with temperature and time, it'll work just fine.[p]Paul

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Brent Johnson,
    I love Montreal Steak Seasoning on chicken.
    TNW

The Naked Whiz