Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Primo grill - the US version of the BGE"????

Options
CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so a friend of mine on Facebook posted he was cooking ribs so I commented that I was cooking some on the BGE and another of his friends commented that she had just gotten a Primo grill. She actually said "the Primo grill is the USA version of the BGE and it is the best grill there is". Well, I know the truth and didn't want to get into an argument with a stranger on FB, so I said nothing. I think when you try to compare something to the BGE, then it is nothing but a wannabe. I, for one, have never heard of this grill. I did google it and think it is relatively ugly, kind of reminds me of one of my uncles, short and fat. Has anyone had any experience with this grill? And isn't the BGE made in Atlanta, which that last time I checked is in the USA. Thanks.

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The BGE ceramic is cast in Mexico.

I understand that the Primo is a very good grill in its own right and the owner/founder has ties to BGE in a previous life. They work just like the BGE. No one could tell the difference in foods prepared on either. Both have their HQ and main facilities in metro Atlanta.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tell her to have fun at the Primo fest.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    nothing to disparage about a primo .. i have had chance to monitor other folks cooks on them..
    just for giggles i went to their forum.

link is self expalainatory B)

http://primogrillforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
  • CrimsonTideGirl
    Options
    Now that's funny!!!
  • Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    I agree with many of the comments. Primo is a great cooker. In fact, given all things equal you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between the food coming off the two. That being said, BGE sets itself apart through the community, such as this forum, the warranty, and the network of dealers...
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Love it Bill,, I have a friend thats a Primo dealer I'll have to send him that link :laugh: It is a good cooker but he's so desperate he calls me for advice :huh:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Wow,

He must be desperate!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    hahaha. did u click on any of those forum topics?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    My bad. Sort of. If you are not logged in, everything is labeled PRIVATE and shows what bill showed. I don't remember why I signed on there or how long ago I did so. In fact, I had forgotten that I HAD! Then I remembered so I took a stab at my user name and password. Lo and behold, I'm in - and there ARE posts! :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    bill, I just attempted registering for the Primo forum. I was rejected. They said I had a history as a known spammer. I think they have me confused with Steven or Chubby. ;)
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Now, now Steve............that being said, I'm still in stitches. :lol: :laugh: :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Rebecca,

I've been a member of the Primo forum for five years. No spammoza from here. Chubby..not sure

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Shows just how desperate some people can get :blush:
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    When I bought my BGE a few months ago, I was on the fence between the Primo XL and BGE. Primo's main marketing (and debates on their forum and around the web revolve around): (1) it is cast in USA, (2) the oval shape is better because, they claim, it is more efficient use of grill area because most things cooked are oblong, and (3) the ability of the grill to be divided in half, cooking at different heights, direct/indirect, firebox divider, etc on each half.

BGE has addressed the flexibility, both with factory accessories and with ceramicgrillstore.com. Primo no longer has that advantage. Third party accessories seem to be more widely available for BGE, at least for now.

Just my observations based on my research -

This forum is far superior to Primo's. I looked at the PRIMOs and was not impressed - the two dealers around here (there were not BBQ places) had some beat up models to see (none of them XLs), and were trying to liquidate the ones they had. They did not seem knowledgable about ceramic cookers, though one was willing to let me borrow one to try out for 30 days.

So for me, the BGE was the clear winner - my local dealer sealed the deal.

Of course BGE is far and away the most established company, with the greatest market share, and customer service reputation, and I felt will more likely be around to honor their lifetime warranty.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    howmeisterg,

I would love to have a large oval. Think it has great capabilities. I think most of the primo guys went to Addicted to BBQ and the brethren. It used to be a very active forum with a lot of talent.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    The only tie Primo has ever had to the EGG® was to copy the EGG.

The ceramic parts are made in the USA but everything else that is on their grill is made in China. So made in the USA is kind of misnomer sometimes.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    and you tell hiim to go work for grillmandan and sell eggs :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i did not know you had to be registered to see the posts ,, i clicked and got nothing..
    that said, even if i knew i would have done the same thing :evil:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    the obviously have you confused with one of them and i doubt if spam has crossed your lips
  • Chubby
    Options
    Just the thought of Rebecca secretly curled up in the back of a 56 Buick with with a Bud LongNeck and a can of Origonal Spam...well, It's sort of arousing!!

Don't hate me...LMAO!!

:woohoo:
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    Options
    My good name and sterling reputation are needlessly trashed!!

:lol:
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i have to agree with you !!!! but i suggest you pick a more recent model car.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That is one of the funniest posts I have ever seen here!! Can't stop laughing!! :laugh: :laugh:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dude it's the male mantra, blame the other dude to save your own @$$

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• eenie meenie
    Options
    Don't worry Chubby, I would never hate you......but I will get even! :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :P
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I stand corrected about the prior relationship. I was repeating unconfirmed information I have read on this forum over the past few years.

I agree that made in the USA is often misleading, and really doesn't mean anything any more. A lot of people put their faith in that label, but in reality that label is relatively meaningless.
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Options
    Now that's funny. :lol: