Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot-tubbed pork chops...anyone done them?

Options
Hoosier
Hoosier Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did a quick forum search and couldn't find any posts. I have become a HUGE fan of steaks done via the hot tub method and I'm contemplating doing 4 pork loin chops the same way tonight.

Anyone tried that technique on chops? I'm guessing so but I'd love to hear how they turned out prior to me Eggsperimenting

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hoosier,

Same deal with chops. Very moist.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoosier
    Options
    Thanks Steve! I'm sold. Going to bag 'em and dunk 'em for 45 minutes or so.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I've done hot tub chops a few times, it's a good method to try. However, I always brine my chops and that really keeps them moist. Pulling them off the cooker at 145° to 150° helps too.

DSC00082a.jpg

DSC03399aa.jpg

DSC03400a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoosier
    Options
    You're brined chops are definitely on my to do list. Unfortunately this was a last minute decision for me as I had planned on salmon tonight but forgot to thaw it out this morning!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I've done them that way and like Steve said, same deal as with steaks. -RP
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Will you share your brine recipe? Tim :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I went to your site and printed your brining technique. Thanks. Tim :)
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I used to have a real standard, by-the-book answer to your question, which I call Flavor brine #1. The recipe for that is below and I used the 1 gallon of water to 6 ounces of salt for 20 years of more. Through some experiments I now feel comfortable with a low salt brine I call Flavor Brine #1A.

Brine times for chops can range from 1 to 3 hours depending on thickness. I brine sections of pork loin for 4 to 5 hours.

When cooking brined meats, trust the internal temperature, and rest before serving or slicing. Be prepared to see plenty of juices.

A full write up on brines can be found on my site by clicking HERE

With any base brine recipe, seasonings like pepper, garlic powder, sage, lemon slices, onion slices, fresh herbs etc. are optional. A few ounces of flavored vinegar, wine, apple juice or even beer can be added as well.

Flavor Brine #1:
    This ratio of salt to water has been a standard for a number of years.

1 gallon of water
    6 to 8 ounces of salt. (I prefer 6 oz., and use kosher salt or canning salt)
    1/2 cup of sugar

Flavor Brine #1A:
    Because a lot of folks watch their salt intake, I started getting inquiries about a brine with less salt. A lite brine so to speak. Many of my brining sources feel that less than 4 ounces of salt per gallon is not strong enough, but I have been experimenting with this base recipe and like the results on pork loin, pork chops and chicken pieces. Since this lite brine has less salt, less sugar is needed.

1 gallon of water
    3-1/2 ounces of salt (kosher salt or canning salt)
    1 tablespoon of brown or maple sugar
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    I was updating that page in the last hour or so. Check it again as I have added some thoughts on using a lite brine.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Got it. I just finished making and cooling the brine.

I took one quart water in a pan
    3T kosher salt
    2T white sugar
    3T DP's raising the steaks

After the 5 min simmer and cool down I added one quart of water stirred and in one gallon bag I placed two thick cut pork chops and a quart of my brine. The remaining brine went into another gallon bag and a chunk of pork loin. I plan to use this tomorrow evening for a rolled up loin with goodies inside. Thanks
  • OconeeDawg
    Options
    Can't seem to find on the forum the methos for Hot-tubbing steak. Can someone send me a link or give me a little direction on how to do it? thanks
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    OconeeDawg

Put the steak in a foodasver bag or vacuum seal and soak it in 100* water. 1 1/2 steak about 40 minutes.

DSC_0085.jpg

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON