Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porketta!

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks, Cola Cooker! We had your porketta last night, and it's definitely a keeper. It was so good, in fact, that we both had seconds. The mingling of flavors with the sweetness of the pork is fantastic.[p]Also on the menu were whipped yucca and green beans with yellow squash (drizzled with a little bacon grease). Great combination.[p]Note to Cola Cooker - somehow your original posting disappeared with the other photo contest entries. You really need to post the recipe to the recipe section.[p]Ken

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    BlueSmoke, if you will post or send me the recipe, I'll get it in the "submitted recipes" and make sure "Cola Cooker" gets credit.

• ColaCooker
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Glad you liked it. Here are the recipe and my pictures again.[p]Start with a whole deboned and butterflied butt. Prepare the stuffing in a food processor by adding 1 cup each of fresh basil and flat leaf parsley, about ½ cup of fresh oregano, about 10 sprigs of fresh thyme that’s been picked and 1 stem of fresh rosemary that’s been picked, one can of anchovy filets including the oil, one cup of parmigiano reggiano and enough olive oil to make a paste in a food processor. Spread the mixture on the inside of the butt. Roll up the butt and tie it. Insert fresh bay leaves under the string. [p]Put the butt into a preheated cooker using indirect heat. I cook mine at 350 to an internal temperature of 160. Ken cooked his at 300 to an internal temperature of 140 and was happy with the results. [p]Here's a picture of the butt before it goes on the cooker.[p]porketta1.jpg [p]Here it is right after coming off the cooker.[p]porketta2.jpg [p]And here's what a slice looks like.[p]porketta3.jpg [p]Enjoy!
    Tony

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Colacooker,
    Another one for the list!

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    Colacooker,[p]Thanks for the recipe. My wife says it looks and sounds like some pork roasts she had at Portuguese Festas in CA when she was a kid. Thus it's been added to the list of things to try.[p]Have you ever cooked one of these to pulling temps? That's also on the list now...[p]Bob
  • ColaCooker
    Options
    yaB,
    I've never cooked it to pulling temp. We like to keep a roast-like texture so we can slice it. [p]It might be interesting to try this method for a "pulled pork" cook. I might try one next time I do a low and slow. Thanks for the idea.[p]Tony