Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soft Pretzel Experiment V2.0

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
2nd try at fast / quick / easy soft pretzels ... better this time ..learned a few things ... I did make extra dough so if we have time at my demo class tomorrow at the store, maybe we'll knock a few out.

file.php?id=102
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    did you boil them , just bake them, or dip them in the poisonous stuff. they look good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    What was better, and what did you learn?

Dipping them in "the poisonous stuff," as fishless calls it, is a good thing. Wonderfully dark crust, and prezelly flavor.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    looks mighty fine there..!! :) Might have to share that recipe out :)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i just learned something, they make food grade drain cleaner now for this :laugh: :laugh: what happened to the good stuff :evil:
    fukahwee maine

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    oh, you can still get good old stump remover from the hardware store ;) but I wouldn't recommend eating prezels if you have wooden dentures.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    looks like they pulled all the red devil off the shelfs at the hardware because the meth entrepreneurs were using it :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Just an egg wash .. using whole wheat type dough ... getting a little better each time I make them.
    FB/SGP
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    BAKED AT 475 DEGREES.
    FB/SGP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    B@stards! First they take away my 30-count boxes of 24-hour Claritin D and make me go to the pharmacy every week, and now this? It's enough to make a man snap. This is how superhero movies start.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    whole wheat makes a good pretzel. was in line at a bruins game getting a pretzel and beer, had crushed nuts and a drizzle of maple syrup. im eating it while they get my beer and the girl says that will be 7.95 for the pretzel :blink: :blink: this was about 15 years ago :laugh: was told it was gourmet :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    That is an awesome thought!

I can not wait to see what you become and what costume you will wear.

I am not using contractions because my keyboard puts and e with a grave sign instead of an apostrophe now for some reason.
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Options
    Fred ,
    Have you tried using 2 cups of warm water mixed with 2tbl spoons of baking soda for the wash? Its part of a reinhart recipe that i use alot. I liked it better than the eggwash. I tried dipping them into a shallow dish after they were tied but ended up using a spray bottle with the mixture . looking good from here man , enjoy those pretzels
  • Matt_in_the_OC
    Options
    Boiling them in baking soda and water gives them the pretzel flavor.

Making the pretzel shape is a waste of space. You can make them 3 times faster as logs.

Hope this helps.
  • 3Pedals6Speeds
    Options
    recipe? Please?
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I think I have made every recipe in that book except the pretzels ... I am trying to make nice ones without the wash and getting pretty good results ... it seems as long as they have salt on them, they taste like pretzels .... originally they were supposed to be stuffed but I haven't gotten to the "stuffed" part yet ... still working on rise times / etc. Might make some today at our store demo ..if I do, maybe have pics etc. This time dough is overnight ferment in fridge.
    FB/SGP