Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seasoning my new Cazuela's

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As I mentioned earlier, Beli brought us a set of the stoneware he uses to make some of his delightful dishes on the Egg.

The stoneware is called 'Cazuela' and is used in every home with even a token amount of Spanish DNA in the inhabitants. Or at least that's the impression I got after reading hundreds of sites on the subject.

And I'm beginning to understand why. Our house smells very strong of garlic. Garlic is used in the traditional method of seasoning the Cazuela's. I had to use this method after not having much luck finding the Pickling Lime (calcium hydroxide) Beli used to cure his.

Here they are on the stove.

SeasoningmynewCazuelasfromBeli.jpg

They will be brought slowly to a boil then simmered until only a small amount of the water/vinegar mixture remains. The garlic was rubbed into the outside unglazed surface after an overnight soaking in clean water.

All this curing makes them harder or something. I suppose harder is a good thing when working with stone.

Judy seems to think we should be cooking some Italian dish now while the house smells like garlic. I'm good with that. What is a good 'morning wine' for Italian Chefs to sip on while doing their thing?

Anyway, Thanks again Beli. We'll be cooking something real soon and share the photos.

Spring "Soon To Be Stoned" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Beautiful Leroy & Salud!! to you & lovely Judy.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    By the way, I uploaded the photos from your Coop Party album and I see a great many that I haven't seen before. I will probably go back and edit the movie and include many of them.

Also, with considerable effort I managed to polish off one of the bottles of rum that you brought and I'm working on another one. Takes time as I get older. For some reason too much rum makes me do stupid things. Oh wait... That's what it's supposed to do. My bad...

Right now I'm into boiling water.

Spring "Mucho Caliente" Chicken
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi Leroy,
    I recommend a nice light Soave for sipping, well chilled. Dry and crisp, it hits the spot for me every time.
    Happy new year to you and Judy,
    Roger
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Morning Roger. Or 'afternoon' to you. "Soave" huh? Never had it before so it will be just another adventure to add to my list of things to try. Thanks.

You're probably getting excited about your upcoming cruise by now. Seems to me it's only a month or so away.

Sure wish we could have timed it for you to attend the Coop Christmas Party. I have a feeling you would have enjoyed it.

Spring "Full Sails No Wake" Chicken
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Those look amazing
    Can't wait to see your first cook in them :)

Shane
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Leroy you know rum's my favourite as well...I know the feeling ;) Glad those pics are being useful they are mostly from Darian & Kolbdriver
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Me too. We've been looking up recipes. Lots of them from Spain, but some of those are a bit too unusual for someone growing up in Louisiana. So we'll probably start off with a traditional Mexican or South American dish that might be on a typical menu in Houston. That way we can try it first in a restaurant and then improve upon it using our new Cazuela and a Big Green Egg. Can't miss with that combination.

Spring "Try First Before Trying Again" Chicken
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi Leroy,
    Our cruise has been and gone unfortunately, we sailed on 24th October from Port Canaveral, back in on 31st October, and travelled home the same day. We had a wonderful trip, but it is a long way to go for 1 week, 6 hours to Newark, New York, and then another 3+ to Florida, after 3 hours hanging around the airport. However, we had a wonderful trip and will certainly schedule our next trip over to co-incide with an egg event somewhere.
    I loved the photos and video of your Christmas party, I really miss being so far away and not being able to attend these wonderful occasions.
    Someday....................