Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

porchetta cannoli

Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Why the cannolo shell has not spread beyond its roots as an open ended deep fried Italian cream filled dessert tube to include a giant bread version packed with pork & cheese probably keeps you up at night, me too :laugh:, just another sign of a world gone mad I suppose.

Porchetta (Italian pork roast) can be done with any part of the hog, I used a butt today. To make, cut multiple slits in the butt & jam in a mixture of whole garlic, rosemary, fennel seeds & olive oil, then rub down the outside with more olive oil & season generously with salt & pepper, place in a dry coverable pan & dial the egg to mad max:

001.jpg

006.jpg

Cook uncovered (clean burning/smokeless) at 400 for an hour, flip, go a little while longer till you have some color on all sides, then add water, a little more rosemary & fennel, some whole stalks of celery, flat leaf parsley & more cloves of garlic, cover, drop the temp to 350 & let it go until it’s done (this one took about 7 hours to get to 200 internal):

012.jpg

013.jpg

Nice & cooled down now for pulling:

025.jpg

026.jpg

Remove the celery & some of the parsley from the juice:

027.jpg

Then add the shredded pork back in. The beauty of this dish is that it can be kept all day long at a low temp in the juice. It’s usually served dripping in the juice on hard Italian rolls, absolutely delicious. In Philly this is nearly as common as the cheesesteak:

028.jpg

For the cannolo tubes:

1) Begin with one standard batch of pizza dough & cut into 4 equal pieces – let rise.
2) You’ll need a large dowel of some sort (I used the cardboard tube from a roll of fabric my wife was storing in the garage :ermm: ).
3) Remove fabric, cut the tube into equal lengths with a hacksaw (aint no turning back now);
4) Wrap in foil to keep them from bursting into flames. You may want to do this in the garage to avoid detection;
5) Slither back into the house like the bad man that you are, wrap the dough around the dowels, pinching at the meeting point to hold it together;
6) Brush with olive oil for flavor & color;
7) Hope the whole thing goes to plan so we can all laugh about it later

Tubes cut down:

007.jpg

We’ll find someplace to put that:

008.jpg

Foiled up & ready to go:

009.jpg

Dough is on & to the egg at 500:

021.jpg

When done, remove the dowels & let cool

024.jpg

Garlic fry some broccoli rabe:

031.jpg

Stuff the tubes with shredded porchetta (said ‘porrr-kate-ahh’), broccoli rabe & grated extra sharp provolone*

038.jpg

032.jpg

039.jpg

* It is very important to use the best sharp (preferably imported) provolone, none of that supermarket ‘slicing’ provolone that doesn’t taste like anything – the porchetta & broccoli rabe are very powerful flavors & you need a real dego cheese with enough backbone to stand up & be recognized:

please enjoy a fine selection from the who:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6-3rnD7FSc
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• i lay awake at night too.. wondering why i lack creativity and originality and any even remotely artistic ability.. in fact i can barely play the radio .. you on the other hand have two beers ...........
    go to the hardware store tomorrow and get a hunk of pvc to replace the cardboard tube and don't forget to place or wrap the fabric in something dust proof ..
    happy new year
    bill
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Love it!! Flavors sound great!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Zippylip
    hahaha good advice bill, probably won't take it, that fabric'll likely wind up soaking up my next oil spill :ohmy: or some other calamity
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Molly, if you haven't had it before, I recommend you give it a try. It's so easy to make & can keep so much longer than pulled pork. It's a standard at parties, weddings, graduations... around here, not only because it's good but because it can sit in a warming dish for 12 hours & be just as good at hour 12 as it was minute one - you really need good hard rolls though, or bake your own.
    happy in the hut
  • I wish I was there for that one. Pork looks great, and your cannoli filling looks delish. Good call on the provolone.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    A definite do Marc.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Looks delicious Marc. It's on the bucket list. Thanks for posting.
  • Zippylip
    Faith, you can't order one of these without getting the sharp provolone on it - most places have good hot peppers & horseradish too to put on them, gotta have some heat don't you know. As for the greens, fried spinach or brocoli rabe are fairly typical
    happy in the hut
  • "HOLY CRAP MARIE!!" That looks fabulous!!! Of course, I'm on a diet, so everything looks fabulous, but still!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Whodathunk, porchetta canonoli! Oh.....Zippy thunk. B)

Looks fabulous and I bet it tasted even better! :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    that looks great, can u batter mine and deepfry it :laugh: does look good :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Very creative Marc. Wishing you and yours a great year. :)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Amazing what you keep coming up with and yes the roast pork is more popular like you said.
    My wife doesn't sew, you wouldn't happen to have some old fabric rolls hanging around would you? :whistle: :laugh:
    Great stuff Marc
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    As always, Marc, a delightful cook. Those last two pics are awesome!

Your provolone comments explain a lot. I guess I've never even HAD the good stuff because I've never noticed any particular taste to any provolone I've ever had. Will definitely look for some imported. Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    Michael, provolone ranges from very very mild to very strong. The mild version is what you would find at most supermarkets at the deli counter next to american cheese & all the other lunch meats. It's very soft, has a very light flavor & melts really well. Good for some things but this isn't one of them. The real deal has a much lower moisture content, is more brittle, barely melts, & is packed with flavor. It's hard to believe they both go by the same name
    happy in the hut
  • fishlessman
    thats my thoughts on swiss, they all taste like plain edible plastic, maybe because of all the sharp cheddars ive eaten.
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    There is ONE Italian market in my area. At least only one that I know of. Looks like they have a pretty good cheese section so I'll see what I can find. That, or stock up next time I'm in the city visiting the boys. Seems like there's a great market on every street corner in NYC! Thanks!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zippylip
    yep, & I've been eating this since I was a kid, many many many years before I discovered real bbq - it's all good
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks Tim, and the same to you, Marc
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    along with a deep-fried snickers bar chaser :laugh:
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    thanks Rebecca, and it did taste pretty good. Hard to tell in the photos, but a nice spoonful of the juice goes on after assembly & just soaks into the bread, that's where a lot of the flavor is. It really is a symphony. Have a great new year, Marc
    happy in the hut
  • fishlessman
    only if you inject it with some beer first and wrap it in prosciutto :)
    fukahwee maine

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    All right for all us uncultured redneck bikers what the #$$* is broccoli rabe and how do ya make it?!!LOL The Who is on tune hear at the control board right now at work. A fine selection. Now where did I put that beer?!! :laugh: We got to get togeather some time! Cok is just outstanding. Never know what you are going to come up with next. You ever figure out a way to heat The Hut up with out catching something usefull on fire?!! :whistle:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Your shredded pork shoulder in juice got my attention. :woohoo: I'd like to slap that on home made bread.

I see the granitware roaster,... so I'm not the only one cooking with that stuff, I got a bunch of different enameled steel cookware. I got an old roaster been in my family handed down from Uncle to cousin to me.

Interesting twist on the pork samitch. Hope your keeping records of the cooks and recipes. When your cookbook is published I'll buy. ;)
  • :whistle:
    Zip, so glad to see that you didn't stuff the cannoli with "you know what" !! :pinch:
    Love that garlic mixture!
    Meat looks fab :woohoo:
    Happy New Year!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great post
    We have an Italian festival that serves porchetta
    If you aren't there early..
    No porchetta for you! :laugh: :laugh:

Shane
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Marc, you never cease to amaze me. That looks incredible. What a great bunch of flavors, my mouth is watering. :blink:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Your creativity NEVER ceases to amaze me....WOW just WOW.. :)