Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NC Egger addicted to TX BBQ- Need sausage advice

willrev
willrev Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to get up and smoke a brisket in the morning. Got it soaking in the Coke right now. No, you do not taste Coke when you get done. Breaks down the meat. Any suggestion on making homemade "Hot Guts" or the sausages that go with brisket like the Lockhart, TX style? There are few recipes on the internet. Found this one.

5 lbs. Boston butt
2 lbs. beef
1 cup beer
2 T. Ground black pepper
2 T. Crushed Red pepper
2 T. Paprika
1 T. Cayenne
1 T. Garlic
2 Tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground bay leaves
1 tsp. anise, fennel, or anise seeds
1 tsp. mustard seeds
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp ground thyme
6 tsp. morton tender quick
1 tsp. MSG

I left out the MSG and increased the Kosher salt. Did not have tender quick. Cut the recipe in half. Tore up some bay leaves since I did not have ground bay and did not have ground thyme. Otherwise what I put together is similar. Any Texans have an opinion? Want to smoke them tomorrow.

Comments

• Cant provide any advice, but take pics and let us know how it all turns out! I am particularly interested in the sausage attempt.
  • I bought a Universal brand meat grinder and sausage stuffer - hand crank at ACE Hdwe. It had three sausage stuffing tubes and two different size grinder plates. I used the fine plate to grind the boston butt. I used a pound and a half of butt to two pounds 75/25 beef. The meat market had the casings. I started with just the meat, salt and pepper, minced garlic, red crushed pepper and kosher salt. It smelled like it was missing something. So I added ground mustard, ground fennel, sage, mustard seed, coriander, dark porter beer Yuengling and a little more paprika and a tsp of turbinado sugar and the crushed bay leaves. Not sure why, but it smells more like sausage.

I have the egg loaded with alternating oak-hickory mix then lump, wood, then lump. Wood on top then plate setter. Plan to start the brisket at 5am and the sausages. Last time I smoked the brisket to 165 internal. Wrapped and left four more hours in a 200 deg. egg. then into two pool towels for 8 hours in the cooler to eat at lunch the next day. It fell apart and was still super warm. Not crusty or black on the outside, but not dry by any sort. Only used salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and garlic powder to season. So will try again.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Soaking brisket in coke 'breaks down' meat? :unsure:
    Huh, I've never heard of that my entire life....
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • cookn biker
    You might be interested in the Eldar Ward's method for brisket. It is at the Naked Whiz's site.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • I will take a look at the Elder Ward. Thanks. That sausage smells awesome. Been in the fridge about an hour.
  • I have had a few Texans share that "secret". Maybe it just tenderizes it with all the acid in the Coke. Who knows. It worked last time. You don't taste it a bit. So, maybe it does work or maybe I am dumb to believe it, but after you try it, you might like it.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I heard it works great for clearing clogged drains
  • cookn biker
    That's funny to me. I don't do soda's. I am just suggesting trying different methods. That's what I did when I first did briskets...ok, that is not true..I read Eldar Ward's way. Then rolled with my mods. They have turned out perfect. They are more forgiving than most think. I think, but I am in food service.
    Have fun playing!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Is this the right way to post a link for pictures on photobucket???

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/willrev/Sausage Making/
  • http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad51/willrev/Sausage Making/

I think this is the URL for the sausage pictures :blink:

Hope this works. Let me know.[img size=150][/img]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    img_0074aL-1.jpg

You fell for that Coca-Cola story? heheee. Most Texans (myself included) always tell folks that Dr Pepper works better.... and that Dublin Dr Pepper works the best, it's made in Texas and with pure cane sugar. It's one of the ways to "Doctor" a brisket. (another is using Tenderquick, for a Texas size smoke ring)

DSC08334a.jpg

Seriously, it's the phosphoric acid in Dr Pepper and Coke and probably other soda pops that is what you're actually using. It acts as a tenderizer. I've never used it, but there is bound to be a time limit before the surface of the meat gets mushy and will affect the bark. In Texas and Oklahoma many hams are cooked with a Coke or Dr Pepper. And of course there are several "pop mops" out there too.

Coke can be used for several things outside the kitchen too:

To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery