Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking pizza tonight and have a couple of ??

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The last time I cooked pizza the bottom of pizza's were burnt. This may have been b/c I let the stone heat too long and it was too hot. The dome temp was around 600.

1) What is the best dome temp for pizza's?

2) How long to heat stone before putting pizza on?

3) What's the best store bought dough? I hear publix has a pretty good dough.

Thanks!

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    The set up should be:
    Plate setter in with legs down,
    spacers on top of plate setter,
    pizza stone on top of spacers

let this whole set stabilize at 450-500 for 30 mins before you put the pizza on...
    Kent Madison MS
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Did you have a gap between the platesetter and the pizza stone? Some use the little green feet others use plumbing elbows, I use firebrick pieces.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I cook pizza at about 600 and put the platesetter, legs down, egg feet and pizza stone on as soon as I know the fire is going to go and heat everything up at the same time. I keep the top off and peak with a flashlight to see how the pizza is coming along.

I make my own dough.

Good luck

DSC_0033-1.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg
  • Margie
    Margie Posts: 52
    Options
    I have my dome at 500-600. I put my platesetter legs down, egg feet on it pizza stone on them. Let the stone heat up with the egg. I have great luck with pizza, they are a family favorite

M
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    1. Depends on the thickness, hydration, and sugar content of your dough, as well as the amount of toppings.

2. 30-45 minutes is a good baseline

3. Go to a local pizzeria. Publix dough is OK, but not great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There is no best temp. Depends on the dough and what kind of pizza you are cooking. If you're going for a generic 2-3 topping pizza, a la Pizza Hut, probably 450-500°. That seems to be the most popular range around here. If you want a charred crust margherita with just sauce, moz and basil, bump it up to 650-700° or more. But those two require different doughs.

Since you are asking about Publix dough, I assume you are going more for the Pizza Hut style so 450-500° is probably what you want. Should take about 10 minutes, as I recall, but you can check it through the open dome (control your temp with the bottom vent only and leave the DFMT off). Use a flashlight. Careful of the eyebrows though, sometimes the flame kicks up a bit. :) The margherita should only take 2-3 minutes.

As for dough, I never heard of a Publix until I signed on here so I can't help there. You might check with wherever you buy your favorite store bought pizzas and ask if they will sell you a dough ball. Mine will.

Good luck.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    Rob,

I use the platesetter, spacers and then the stone. The stone doesn't get hotter than the ambient temp of the egg like that.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• R&R Futures Trader
    Options
    I like 600 dome and usually wait 15 min or so to let the stone get good and hot.

If you have a Papa Murphys in town, their pizza do great on the egg otherwise we do our own dough.

However you do it, you will find it fantastic pizza
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    some folks will hit the stone with a wet rag in between pizzas...i don't but you could always try it if the first is coming out ok but the second or third is burning.
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    I concur with those before me. We now get our dough at a nearby pizzeria. Pizzas have been perfect ever since.
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Hi,

My favorite store pizza dough is Trader Joes. For that I cook at about 500-550. I do a double Pizza stone (actully legs down plate setter is the first...) with spacers (use 1/2" galvanized nuts) between them . I let it go about 30 min then wipe with a damp paper towel.

Pic below is trader joes dough as described.

Cheese_Olive.jpg

Publix Dough is their bread dough I believe. Ok but I am not a big fan..
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I assume you could buy extra egg feet from the egg dealers? I am using mine under my large egg right now.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    I assume you could buy extra egg feet from the egg dealers? I am using mine under my large egg right now.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    That looks great. I am going to try the 1/2" nuts between the stone and the place setter.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    You don't need to spend any money. You can make 3 or 4 crumpled aluminum foil balls to separate the plate setter and pizza stone. Or copper tubing elbows from Home Depot, or pieces of firebrick.

Save your money for the ingredients.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    A later post suggested 1/2" space. Is that adequate?
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Absolutely adequate. You just need enough for airflow between the two surfaces.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    See your dealer for extra egg feet. I did and they were given to me. When we went to 2009 eggfest there at the mothership I bought three for a small amount of money. Tim ;)
  • bamarob
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I will post an update later. My camera is not great so probably no pictures.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I haven't had anything but burnt pizza on the egg. I initially cooked them on the place setter. No good. Got a pizza stone and used the 3 BG feet. Again burnt pizza dough. Will keep trying! I make my own dough and do not use any sugar. In the oven they come out great. I am going to back off the temperature of the egg to 450* and see if that helps.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    You may want to check your thermometer in boiling water to make sure it's not off real bad. If it is turn the nut on the back to get it back at 210 or so. Just a thought. It shouldn't be off enough to cause you this much of a problem but it can still hinder you.
  • bamarob
    Options
    no pics but the pizza turned out great. I need to do a better job of rolling the crust out though. The crust was a little thick on the back end. I was scared to toss it up in the air!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Glad it worked for you, Rob! How'd you wind up doing it? Temp, time, egg setup? Where'd you get the dough?

As for rolling, I read somewhere years ago that rolling pizza dough was not a good thing. Don't remember why, but I think it had something to do with air pockets or lack thereof. So, I never roll mine. I can't toss either, so I just use my finger tips to flatten the dough ball and shape it a bit. Then, I pick up the dough with the backs of my hands and stretch it out. Less likely to poke holes in it with your knuckles. Last, if needed, I pick it up by an edge and let the weight of the dough stretch it out more, moving my hands around the perimeter until it's stretched to my liking. My peel is the same width as my stone so if it fits the peel in my kitchen, I know it won't hang over the edge of the stone when I get to the egg.

Oh, one other thing; let your dough ball warm up before you try to shape it. Cold dough doesn't like to stay stretched. Almost like a rubber band!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut