Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grate

Options
Inna Avrelina
Inna Avrelina Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Due to the goodness of my wife, I have added a cast iron grate to my Egg stuff. [p]Since we are planning to use it tonight, is there anything special that I need to do to it prior to using it for cooking? Any other suggestions about the care of that item will be appreciated too.[p]Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Alan P,
    I got one also. Haven't used it yet. I plan seasoning it with grape seed oil first.[p]CWM

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Alan P,
    Same goes for all cast iron cooking. Grind off any burrs or rough areas, sand smooth with emery cloth. Wash in warm water and soap using a scrub brush. Rinse well and dry. [p]Now your are ready to season. Just like a cast iron Dutch oven, you give the grate a coating of oil (I use peanut oil) applied with a paper towel. Spread the oil all over, top and bottom. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 2 hours then turn off oven and let cool while still in oven. Tip- place aluminum foil on a lower rack to catch any drips.[p]Now your seasoned and good for go.
    Note- Clean cast iron using hot water and a plastic brush, no soap, dry completly and store in a dry place. A light coating of oil on the iron before you fire up the egg will enhance a non-stick protective surface that gets better with age.[p]Your steaks will thank you.[p]Happy New Year,
    Clay Q

• PapaQ
    PapaQ Posts: 170
    Options
    Alan P,[p]If you haven't started seasoning your new grid in the oven yet, may I make a suggestion. Seasoning cast iron in the oven can become quite smelly. I seasoned my cast iron Dutch oven in my egg at around 400 for 2-3 hours so as not to stink up the kitchen. Hope I've caught you in time.[p]Paul

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    Alan P, I definately season (and re-season) all my DO's and cast fry pan's. Thought about seasoning the grate but figured that since it will be at the butt end of a volcano (TRex time, etc) there was not much point in doing so. Besides, the air here is usually so dry that you almost have to try to rust something.[p]BUT - my cast iron grate did crack. About 2" long, so far. Anyone else manage to crack their's ??[p]LVM

• clausenk
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]If you have any pork fat left, use it season the cast iron just like the French do.[p]Clausen