Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Help

Options
Sailor71
Sailor71 Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hoping someone online can help me out. I have an 8lb packer brisket on the egg and brisket temp is 148internal and egg is 235 at the grate. Will this be done in time for Grey Cup in about 5hrs time? Should I be concerned and bump up the temp?

Thanks
Russell

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This question comes up about every week. I think most people will bump the grate temp up to 250 or even a little more.

An 8 pound packer should take about 12 hours to cook - you didn't say what time you put it on. It sounds like it is in the plateau right now which can be frustrating because it will sit at about that temperature for a long time.

There is lots of info at:

Two great sources of brisket cooking information are:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Sailor71
    Options
    Thanks Shiff

I put it on about 12:30 last night. I have ramped my temp up to 250. I have gotten all my info from both those websites. I have only done one brisket before and it was done by 11:00am and in the cooler. Same size and start time that is why the question.
  • Chuck/Tx
    Options
    All briskets are different. Some cook faster and some slower. Double wrap it in foil when it reaches 165 degrees, internal, or at 3:00 p.m, whichever comes first, and finish it in the oven with a cooking temperature of 300 degrees. It will be done before 5:00 p.m. and you can hold it in the warm cooler until about a half hour before you are ready to eat. Take it out, open it up, and let it rest a half hour before time to slice it.
  • Sailor71
    Options
    Thanks Chuck

I placed the brisket in the oven at 5:00pm and finished it for 2hrs. That brisket took forever. 19hrs for an 8lb brisket? I did turn out fantastic. I took it to 205 internal because wife wanted pulled instead of sliced.