Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear Tri-Tip on Small Egg

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd read some past posts on reverse sear Tri-Tips that looked really good (Ross in Ventura had a really nice post). Last night I gave it a shot.

My wife had picked up some Kinder's marinade a while back that I hadn't tried before so I thought I'd give it a try along with GreenLeaf BBQ's Wine Infused Oak "beans". After taking this pic I decided to add some of Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks rub.

IMG_6651.jpg

Set up Yoda the Small BGE for some indirect cooking around 350-375 and put on the steak:

IMG_6654.jpg

I went inside after this and took a closer look at Ross' post and noticed he put the CI grill in under the plate setter. Wish I had seen it before I started cooking as putting the cast iron grill in under the plate setter so it heats up nicely would have saved me a little time later. I learned something new.

I pulled the steak at 120, put in my cast iron grill, and let the steak rest while heating up the grill and increasing the BGE temp up to about 500. During the rest IT climbed up to about 125 and I put it back on the grill and seared it for a couple of minutes per side:

IMG_6658.jpg

Pulled the steak at 135-137 IT and let it rest under foil for about 8-10 minutes and it looked like this before slicing:

IMG_6662.jpg

Sliced it thin across the grain, plated it with my wife's bean salad and a dinner roll and dinner was served:

IMG_6667.jpg
IMG_6671.jpg

It was a successful dinner. The Mrs & I enjoyed the subtle smokiness from the wine infused oak and the tender juicy tri tip.
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments