Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with bologna

Options
eggaggie
eggaggie Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Two things my friends....(I do appreciate your help)

1. where is the best place to buy a good smoking bologna?

2. What is the best way to smoke? I was thinking

- Inserting garlic cloves
- Cutting it into 1/4ths
- Hitting it with dizzy pig
- smoke inderect at 250 for 2-3 hours?

Thanks for you great comments!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont much care for smoked bologna but what ive done is bought the cheapest stuff at the deli in the supermarket and had them slice me one piece 6 inches long. took it home and with a 3/4 inch piece of tubing punched it thru in three places thru the length. use the corings in the tubing to fashion plugs for the holes. plug one end and pour a sweet bbq sauce in the holes, plug the other end. smoke turning the heat up toward the end and glazing with more sauce. alot of work for something i dont like. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Just go to the deli and as was mentioned get about a 6" chunk. Score it and rub with EVOO and your fav rub. Smoke for about 3 hours at 250.

smoke
    bologna1.jpg

Cube, sauce and reseason

bologna4.jpg

make a sammie

bologna5.jpg
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Some time ago I came across a mention that one of Elvis' favorites was BBQ bologna. I tried a couple of times using a method very similar to Buster Dog's above. For myself, I cut the slabs thinner, instead of chunking at the end.

The results were not all that impressive. I later found that Elvis' cook probably used a very cheap kind of bologna made in Tennessee that was called "red flannel," from the wrapping. That kind had lots of cereal filler. So I guess that would have made the outside crisper, and any spices maybe soak in deeper. I've never found any bologna that says it has filler, so the "true" BBQ bologna may be lost.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Hoss and I both agree, IT IS THE BEST!

Get the cheep 4# chub from Save-A-Lot, about $4.50.for the whole thing.

Appetizer, Grilled Bologna, Richard Fl.

BOLOGNA.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1-4 lbs Bologna, Chub (I used Smithfield pork/chicken)
    Marinade:
    1/3 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    1/3 cup favorite BBQ Sauce
    Add when placing on BGE,
    Some favorite rub

Procedure:
    1 Score the chub down the sides about 1/4 inch deep and about 6 cuts. Cut the chub
    2 into 3 pieces of about equal size. Took a Chinese wooden chop stick and pierced
    3 several holes to absorb the marinade. Marinated overnight in the refrigerator.
    4 Next day, took out of the refrigerator and sprinkled some rub & cooked indirect, on
    5 vertical axis, at 325° F. for about 1 & 1/2 hours. Added a few apple wood chunks
    6 for smoke. Pulled at 170° F. Basted with marinade every 20-30 minutes. Serve with
    7 favorite bbq sauce.
    8 Also, when sliced, makes a great sandwich.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe (Richard Fl)

Source: BGE Florida Eggfest '09, Richard Fl
  • Smokin' T
    Smokin' T Posts: 259
    Options
    Did a chunk approx. 5inches long last week. 275F for 2.5 hrs. indirect, Used cherry & hickory for smoke. Bought it at the deli, did not score or put any rub on it. It came out very salty for my liking. Hope this helps.

Tom
    Dunedin,Fl.
  • Boarcephus
    Options
    What is "chub"?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    A 'chub" is a chunk of meat like hamberger or processed meat like loney and it is the way it is packaged.