Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has Anyone Ever Smoked Mushrooms?

Options
kmellecker
kmellecker Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We found an interesting bread pudding recipe that calls for smoked mushrooms. Our local supermarket has never heard of such a thing but it sounds like an interesting concept. We bought some Portabella mushrooms and are now waiting for the wisdom of the Forum members to tell us what to do next.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I was in Amsterdam a few years ago.... oh wait, never mine. :blush:
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Never smoked one, but have been known to grill a few.

A little Roma tomatoe, a little Fontina cheese, some fresh Basil, a little EVOO, and a sprinkle of Montreal Steak seasoning.

Pretty darn tasty IMO

4-5-08007.jpg

4-5-08015.jpg

4-5-08018.jpg
  • kmellecker
    Options
    I need smoked mushrooms for this recipe, but yours is next on the list. Is the Roma tomato thinly sliced and placed under the cheese? Looks wonderful.
    (Sorry for the delay in response, my computer went sideways)
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Yep, cover the Romas and the basil with the Fontina. Kinda makes a little Portabella pizza.
  • CaptainSpaulding
    Options
    That's an interesting question. Usually, when a recipe calls for something a bit out if the ordinary, there's a reference or suggestion as to where to find the item in question. I love grilled mushrooms, usually skewered with red bell peppers and sweet onions. Mushrooms take on flavor like a sponge and I would be somewhat skeptical treating them like typical smoked items like jerky, bacon or fish. I think you would get the same effect by grilling them with a bit of whatever smoke you like, maybe hickory, pecan or a mild fruit wood like apple. Looking forward to seeing other replies.

Joe
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    We love smoked mushrooms. Do you have a firewire or some skewers? Slide them on, raised grid, about 300, or so, for a half hour. I use a little oak wood for these. They are great. :P
  • willrev
    Options
    Yeah, back in college, but I found Jesus. Only smoke pork now. :laugh:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Mostly I do a stuffed portabella. Marinate it and then a stuffing of some sort with cheese atop....They are GOOD!!!
    However, yes you can smoke mushrooms.
    I have done smaller "button" types as appetizers. I do pretty much the same as hornhonk, but I hold my temp a bit lower (about 250 F.) and a bit longer. I use either apple or cherry smoke-wood.
    Not sure, but I'm thinking that mine may turn out a little drier with the longer smoke time...But, hey, with out a side by side who knows! No matter, they're good.
    Have fun!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input. Hornhonk and Mr.&Mrs Potatohead for the smoking ideas. I will go with the raised grid direct and I think I will put them on a cooling rack for support. I'll let you know the outcome.