Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

got my duck fat ready

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,671
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
my new twist on turkey this year is to put chilled duck fat under the skin, probably some chopped sage as well. any one trying anything new this year with the turkey.

001-6.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Goose fat is an excellent alternative, and makes fabulous roast potatoes.
    In Ireland we can buy duck fat and goose fat in the supermarkets, it's probably also available in America, and these are the best fats for roasting potatoes in, just dont check your cholesterol too soon after eating them.
  • fishlessman
    its harder to find here, a few places have it online but have never seen it local. the good thing about that is i got to eat some duck ;)
    fukahwee maine

• irishrog
    If you can get your hands on a goose, you will make enough goose fat to keep you un-healthy for years. The meat is richer than duck, but the amount of fat which comes off is huge.
    I have stopped cooking goose in the egg because it takes ages to burn off the fat which sticks to the sides. I now cook goose in my self cleaning oven to make life as easy as possible for myself. Anyway the oven does not get used for much else so it is no harm to give it a run out occasionally.
  • fishlessman
    ive only cooked goose once, seems like theres a couple gallons grease in one :laugh: overflowed the pan twice on my old watersmoker and the drippings permanently water sealed the deck i was cooking on. :laugh: what a mess. with the duck i got about a cups worth, might try the goose again just to freeze the grease for those potatoes ;)
    fukahwee maine

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    It will be interesting to hear the results.
  •  
    Roger and his tatters sound wonderful and have me drooling but my first thought was what your gravy is going to be like . . . my next thought logically was to combine said gravy and tatters! Now I'm drooling like crazy! Drool_20.gif Sounds wonderful!

Blair

• fishlessman
    ive got some traditional gravy frozen in the freezer from last weeks turkey, cant wait to make the duck greased infused gravy to compare :)
    fukahwee maine

• irishrog
    Hi Blair,
    Duck carcass is great in a stock pot when making gravy, but you need to cool the stock when it is cooked and then remove the fat from the top, as it will be very fatty, even if you take the fat off the bones before cooking.
    The potatoes are fabulous.
    Boil the spuds in some salty water for 2 or 3 minutes, then strain off the water. Roughen the edges by shaking them around in the pot, and then sprinkle them with some flour and S & P. Make sure your duck or goose fat is smoking hot in the roasting tin when you tip in the potatoes. Turn the potatoes over to coat all sides with the fat. If the fat is only warm when you put in the potatoes it soaks into the flesh and makes them soggy, but if it is smoking hot it seals the outside and gives a wonderful crisp outer shell and a soft fluffy middle.
  • irishrog
    The fat will keep very well in the fridge for at least a few months, it normally doesn't survive long enough in our house to go off.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Learn so much here :laugh:
    Never knew about putting fat under the skin.
    Sounds very good
  • fishless, please remember to post the results. I want to know if you notice a difference in your turkey with the duck fat and I want to know about the gravy! It sounds sooooooo decadent! :)
  •  
    Thanks Roger, those sound fantastic! When ever I would roast beef I would make sure I had room in the bottom of the roasting pan for my potato's and would add them in time for them to cook. If there was no room in the roasting pan I would do them in a Pyrex baking dish. I always thought the Pyrex browned them beautifully. It's funny how some of the simplest foods are the best.

Blair