Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TODAY'S TURKEY TIP - TENTING AND TURNING

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
so here is today's tip, tenting and turning to get that great color on your bird. ..its not that hard, regardless of what method you are using. ...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/mmtip05-97.htm

and remember, the overall method is not compicated, i just laid it out in gross detail so you don't have to ask a lot of questions :laugh:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxcentral/madmaxcentral.htm

Comments

• cole9moss
    Options
    Max, if I was planning on a small bird (10-12 lbs), would you suggest standing it up on a cone or do you still prefer your method of laying it down. I didnt know if you laid it down horizontal because it was such a big bird.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i like to lay mine down regardless of size for a couple of reasons ..

1. i stuff the bird with aromatics and they hold in better

2. i like the juices from the bird to collect in the cavity with the aromatics and then use that to help baste the bird and it all mixes with the butter and wine for great drippings. . .if you stand the bird vertically, everything is just running straight down to the drip pan, not collecting in the cavity.. .i guess you could put your aromatics down in the drip pan and let it all mix there...

also, with a verticle roaster, the breast meat is up higher in the dome, a little bit harder to keep the breast temps from overreaching the thigh temps. ...i'd ice the breasts for a longer period of time, say 45 minutes or so, to keep them from getting done too soon. ...

i've eaten lots of vertical birds (we did a couple at the recent demo at fred's), and they were quite good... so its up to you. ..

hope that helps. ..
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
  • smoker62
    Options
    Max, I have a Diqi-Q. Do you recommend using it or is it not necessary?
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    yeah, you can use it if you want. .. .i would track the temp deep in the breast ...when it hits 160 - 165, i'd pull the bird. ... say the thighs are still only 170 or so (or even less for some reason). .. thats ok, simply separate the thighs completely from the drumsticks and body and throw them in the microwave for about 2 minutes on high to finish them. . ..they will still be good and moist, and done. ...

if you stick the digi-q probe in the thigh though, and wait for them to be done at 185, you run the risk of overcooking the breasts....
  • Georgia
    Options
    Max:

As a newbie I just wanted to thank you for your step by step method on cooking your famous turkey. I love my new toy (lg. egg) and am looking forward to trying your method on a small turkey. Over the years I've experimented with different types of turkeys, stuffings, and side dishes for this holiday. Our daughters often complained about "the Bon Appitte" Thanksgiving dinners that none of her friends had to endure She is already wining about how she doesn't like "smoked" turkey, but I think she will come around.
    Looking forward to trying a new recipe!
  • smoker62
    Options
    Thanks Max, great advice.
  • cole9moss
    Options
    Max, thanks for the advice, I had talked to a guy that said he cooked the bird upside down....... I am guessing this help with the issue with the breast being to high up in the chamber. Just a thought......