Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Tomato Clam Chowder and Crostini's

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some Clam Chowder this weekend that was very very good and a definite Do-Again! Everything came out perfect and the Grilled Tomato's were the bomb and they added and incredible amount of flavor to the dish. Here it goes!

most of the ingredients...

DSC07186.jpg

First thing that you need to do is to grill some tomato's. I used a combination of whole and grape...
DSC07189.jpg

DSC07189.jpg

DSC07191.jpg

DSC07193.jpg

DSC07194.jpg

DSC07198.jpg

DSC07200.jpg

While they are grilling you need to steam 8lbs Cherrystone Clams with 16oz clam juice...
DSC07196.jpg

DSC07197.jpg

Once steamed pull them and give the clams a rough chop and set aside...
DSC07205.jpg

DSC07206.jpg

Empty the packs of the grilled tomato's into a food possessor and pulse a couple of times...
DSC07207.jpg

DSC07208.jpg

Here are the rest of the ingredients ready to go...
DSC07209.jpg

First sweat some onions...
DSC07209.jpg

DSC07211.jpg

Add the garlic...
DSC07213.jpg

Then the reserved clam juice, Chicken broth, Potato's, Fresh Thyme, and a Bay Leaf...
DSC07214.jpg

DSC07215.jpg

DSC07215.jpg

Then add the tomato's and Clams...
DSC07218.jpg

DSC07219.jpg

DSC07221.jpg

Now that is done here is some Crostini's that were a perfect go-together for the chowder...

EVOO with Garlic, Salt, Pepper, and Fresh Parsley...

DSC07202.jpg

DSC07204.jpg

Then spread over sliced Ciabatta Bread...
DSC07220.jpg

Then Grill, Watch out for Flame ups...

DSC07224.jpg

DSC07225.jpg

Then Sprinkle on some of your favorite cheese...

DSC07226.jpg

DSC07227.jpg

And here is the final product...
DSC07228.jpg

DSC07229.jpg

DSC07230.jpg

Thanks for hangin out!

See You Later...
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Very nice cook Doc!
    Good to see you didn't break a leg off your PS ala OKC! :woohoo: :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks great post. Tim :P
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Nice. Think I'll borrow that one.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    good looking cook, i like tomatoes with seafood, but to serve that up here it would need a name change, i think there is a new england law that clam chowdahs cant be red ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DrZaius
    Options
    fishlessman wrote:
    good looking cook, i like tomatoes with seafood, but to serve that up here it would need a name change, i think there is a new england law that clam chowdahs cant be red ;)

I think that is what attracted me to the recipe. The fact that is was not the traditional creamy white base soup. It was super good regardless of the style.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i like all clam chowder B) the creamy white is boston taking over newengland, the chowder i used to eat around here was more clear, havent seen it served for along time that way
    fukahwee maine

• BigDaddy - OCT
    Options
    Wow, nice job buddy! You are restoring my faith!

BD
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Glad you liked it Bruce.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    we do the clear with just the clams and their juice, taters and onions and celery, butter, salt and pepper. simple and basic and full of flavor. That looks really good though!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Options
    That all looks fantastic. I now know another way to help get rid of my tomatoes. I have 16 plants growing. :) I think I missed it, where in the recipe was the miller used? ;)
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Nice Manhattan clam chowder. :) I'm sure the crostini complimented the chowder. Thanks for sharing.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Nice pictorial. I do a similar meal often.

DSC09028a.jpg

For whatever the use...I always did my tomatoes in a flat pan, but when I want more than one flavor of seasoning, I put them in cupcake tins and season each compartment differently.

DSC00096aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Don't let them Yankies get to you Doug they think my Philly Cheese stake with shrimps is all wrong as well! :laugh: They just never knew that their chowder needed some fresh tomatoe in it! ;) Really great job on the meal. Think I'll save this one but some how with 101 expected I think I'll wait till Fall.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the way they make them cheese steaks down south in philly is all wrong, we would use real cheese :laugh: i would eat that chowdah in a heartbeat though. ;) up here the south starts in south boston then go north to find yankees :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    DrZaius: I grew up in New England, and nothing beat a hot bowl of soup on a cold day. As a result, I could eat soup 365 days a year, 10* or 100*, doesn't matter.
    Your "chowda" looks phenominal!! Looks good and brothy, with just enough tomato to give it a nice zip! Looks truly great, and love the crostinis. Let me know next time you're making it.... :laugh:
  • DrZaius
    Options
    Thanks LC

B)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    wow man what a cook!!! looked really good...

i have been thinking about this roasted tomato thing. i have two plants that look like they will be putting off some 'maters' soon... so here is my question. the last time i seen tomatoes done they were done in a alminum pie tin. or on a pizza screen. what are the advantages to wrapping them up all the way?

i also wanted to ask how you can get your platesetter sooooo clean :ohmy: mine is looking a little grimy i was thinking about inviting jason over so i could see if i could get a brand new one like yours :pinch:

hope alls well pal

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL!!!!! ;)
  • DrZaius
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:
    Nice pictorial. I do a similar meal often.

For whatever the use...I always did my tomatoes in a flat pan, but when I want more than one flavor of seasoning, I put them in cupcake tins and season each compartment differently.

I love the pie tin idea. Thanks