Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-It's Official-6 more weeks of winter!

Options
Boss Hogg
Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Puxatawny Phil, the weather predicting groundhog saw his shadow this morning at his residence up on Gobbler's Knob, which means there will be 6 more weeks of winter. He's accurate 75% of the time!!

http://www.groundhog.org/

Happy Egging, everyone!!

Brian

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    D#%^*( That means that Sunshine State Fest will have great weather?
  • puh-leeze.

someday somewhere someone in the news industry is actually going to screw up the courage to say, "you know what? i say we skip this thing this year..."

:laugh:
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Thankfully, just up the road from me in Woodstock, Illinois, "Woodstock Willie" predicted an early spring. Must be the whiteout snow conditions this morning that tipped him off to the impending spring.

Honestly, this has to be the silliest "holiday" of the year.
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Richard, Maybe! I'm not sure if the PA groundhog's forecast is effective across state lines! :laugh:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Stripsteak-They wouldn't dare! :angry:
    Brian
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    BB-We need a tie breaking groundhog!
    Brian
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Wikipedia (font of all knowledge) lists 11 groundhogs giving a 6-5 ruling in favor of early spring.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Options
    Well Brian, they must have seen the ground hog a few weeks ago down here because its been awesome weather on the most part. Just might have to put the Air on soon down here. HA HA :woohoo:
  • Boss Hogg
    Options
    Ben, the other 10 are wannabes!!! PA has the original!!!

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history.do

Brian
  • it is about the saddest thing i have ever seen. i don't mean "sad" as in not happy, i mean "sad" as in dorky. hahaha

my understanding was that it grew out of a tradition where people sat around all night drinking and having fun waiting for the groundhog. that's sounds fun, like ice fishing can be, or barbecuing all night. and then they actually let him come out or not. they didn't reach in and drag him out and then pretend to talk to him. :blink:

but seeing some dork in a top hat open a cage and yank out a struggling rodent... well. that's lame-*ss.

from what a buddy tells me, there are a BUNCH of similar celebrations around pennsylvania, and it dates to an older german tradition. now it seems like it has been co-opted by some clowns in one town. guess i'm saying it looks like it has been reduced to a brief moment of publicity, and that every year all the "news" outlets trudge down for the obligatory puff piece.

sorry man. just seems lame.
  • there are a bunch of them. apparently (just checked wikipedia), phil's prediction for 2010 is one of 5 that say a "late" spring (meteorologically anyway). while 6 other prognosticating pennsylvanian rodents say otherwise. phil has been outnumbered.

hahahaa
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    holy crap jeff, who bit your sense of humor off this morning??!?!? LOL ...man, if you lived in a crummy, almost forgotten coal town with a name like puxatauny, you'd have nothing to live for all year long either but to pull that rodent out of a hutch ...what the hell else do those poor people have to live for .. .if it wasn't for groundhog day, they'd have all probably slit their throats by now!!! . . .now, if they really wanted to make it fun, when they yanked him out every year, they'd bite his damn head off, skin him, grill him and eat him as well!!! . ..that would teach him a lesson (allthough i do hear that groundhog is really greasy) ..

and bill murray wouldn't have had that great movie to make either!! (btw, didn't anyone else think andie mcdowell was hot, Hot HOT in that movie??!! - great hair!!!)
  • i didn';t use as many emoticons as i shoulda. i ain't as angry as that sounds. hahaha

but seriously.. c'mon. how many times do we have to see the exact same thing over and over?

even the boston weather men are saying with a straight face "phil saw his shadow and now we'll have six more weeks of winter"

two steps off camera and they must sigh and vow to ignore it the next year.

if they do ever skip it, some school kid will complain. so every feb2 they pay the penance and genuflect. hahaha
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL...like i said, i look forward to this week if for no other reason than to watch the movie. ...its always one of my favorites....especially when they get to the part where bill murray steals phil and his him driving the truck off the quarry cliff .. .and the parts where he figures out how to get the girl to sleep with him .. .great movie concept ....
  • it's a good movie. i just feel like i've seen it a few times for some reason...
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL....living the experience are you??

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    people sitting around all night drinking and having fun waiting for the groundhog.....i cant wait for next year :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Sir Walter Wally begs to disagree! He said winter is over.

Sir Walter Wally

It looks like his batting average is about .500, LOL!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    They have one here in the Atlanta area they call General Beauregard Lee (I sh!t you not).

Yesterday he went missing in his cage and they had to send in three handlers to find him.His cage is probably 20' x 30' with several trees, bushes, and a large makeshift plantation home facade in which the groundhog lives. He had climbed halfway up an 8' chain link fence and the handlers had to put on the thick leather gloves and grab him down to present him to the children and child-like adults outside the cage. The abject fear and hatred in the poor rodents eyes made for impressive morning coffee talk on the local TV stations. There is no doubt that the beast simply wanted to claw the eyes from everyone inside that cage with him.

Oh, and he didn't see his shadow since it was raining and overcast here, so spring is right around the corner below the mason-dixon line.