Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lo 'n Slo Turkey Question

Options
Buxwheat
Buxwheat Posts: 727
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about cooking a turkey this way. He is going to visit one side of the family early in the day then returning to his place for the other side to come to dinner. He wants to do a turkey on the Egg, but won't be home in time to cook one start to finish roasting it the traditional way. He is considering doing it Lo 'n Slo so it can cook while he is away at the first meal of the day.

He has a Guru so maintaining a constant temp shouldn't be a problem. I read some post about ramping up temp during the cook, bringing it to the 350° mark to finish. Not sure if he has one of those programable Gurus (or if it is even possible to change temps automatically throughout the cook, not having one of these gadgets myself). Will someone help with some advise I can give him on how to cook his turkey (unattended) over a 6-8 hour time period. Not sure how long he will be gone, I think this is the time frame he is working with.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    6-8 hours? How big a Turkey... 30 lbs? 20 pounder will only take 4.5 hours so that should do it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    ive never tried to time one like that. have cooked them all day in my old water smoker around 200/225 and cranked it up for an hour to finish when i got back. have had them in there from 6 in the morning til 8 or 9 at night. that shorter cook maybe 250/275 and kick it up to 375 when he gets back might work but its still a gamble for times. does he know it wont taste like a traditional roasted turkey, they can be really moist but the texture is alot different than roasted. a tweenty pound bird cooked at 300 might come in close for those times
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    I'll ask him specifics, time away/turkey weight, to give you more accurate info to work with.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    PhilsGrill wrote:
    6-8 hours? How big a Turkey... 30 lbs? 20 pounder will only take 4.5 hours so that should do it.

4.5 hours for a 20 lber? Mad Max's instructions say 6.5-7 hours for a 20 lber at 325. What temp are you cooking at, that you're doing a 20 pounder in 4.5?
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    325 all the time and always less the 5 hours.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    mine cook quicker as well, probably has something to do with my setup and pan. good reason to have a practice turkey and take notes with your setup. not sure if its different turkeys as well, commercial, freerange, solution added etc. for me a17/18 pounder at 325 comes in just under 4 hours which is nice for my schedule, bird in at 9, eating around 2
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it