Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I\'m ready to make Jerky - who has the best recipe?

Options
Boatman
Boatman Posts: 854
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hate re-inventing the wheel, so....Bring it on - who has the best jerky recipy and technique B)

Comments

• HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Scott Borders' (Scotty's Inferno) recipe on the Naked Whiz's site is one of the best around.

cold smoked jerky

HolySmokes B)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Boatman,

FLAPoolboy or so he claims.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    i personally think mine is the best ever.

i use a food dehydrator though. I prefer it dried rather than smoked. My marinade can be ported to someone smoking the jerky i suppose.

3lbs lean meat (i use london broil) sliced thin against the grain
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup teriyaki sauce
    1/2 cup pineapple juice
    1 tbs kosher salt
    2 tbs black pepper
    1 tbs onion powder
    1 tbs garlic powder
    2 tbs spicy brown mustard

marinate overnight at least, i prefer 2-4 days. I dry for 4-6 hours on 160*F.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    HolySmokes!!!!!
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Looks good Captain. Scott
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    the easiest technique is the pile method, follow the link and click on recipes, then beef jerkey, dont click on beef jerkey on the first page as the method isnt explained well. this is a great recipe as well. the reason to try this first is that you can use slightly higher temps,165/190 and get away with that til you get used to holding 145
    http://bbq.yyyz.net/default.asp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
    Thanks Fishlessman, I think I'll give that one a try B) I appreciate it.
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    Just an addendum to my recipe above:

i keep it in a ziplock baggie and it lasts for weeks. However it doesnt last very long - I bring some to work every day and my coworkers beg me for a piece! It goes VERY quickly, but lasts a real long time if i need it to.

The jerky is very savory, salty, and peppery and has real great depth of flavor. You could also add worcestshire sauce (up to 1/2 cup) for more savory flavor, or brown sugar, caro syrup, or honey for sweeter. Taste the marinade before you add the beef and season it to taste. My cousin likes the smoke flavoring for jerky so he uses my marinade recipe but adds a touch of liquid smoke - i however prefer the jerky just kippered - not smoked.

No two batches of jerky are ever the same for me - even using the same marinade.

I dry my meat using a nesco food dehydrator - its easy as heck and it does a wicked good job.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,762
    Options
    its a real good recipe, easy to make with the temps, dont go by times though, after it starts to look more like jerkerky (maybe 5 or 6 hours into the cook) take a piece out and allow to cool and do a bend test and taste test. then do the same thing every couple hours. you will notice that most use a dehydrator, it is a different texture than egged jerkey but i find it equally good. if you start making it often you might want to add a dehydrator into part of the cook to get it more like the bought stuff, but egged jerky is good stuff ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it