Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sheep's Head Mushroom - OT

Options
Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Folks,[p]I know this is off topic but thought that someone might be able to help me out with this.[p]About this time every year my parents get to harvest from their yard a few sheep's head mushrooms. These are big old things and one can be broken apart and makes enough to feed maybe 3 people. It is one of those things that tastes so good you want to eat it real slow, but find it very hard to do so.[p]So here is my question, has anyone else ever heard of these shrooms? If you have is there another more common name for it? Have you ever been able to find it in stores? I really like these and would love to be able to get some more than once a year (let's keep on track with the mushrooms).[p]Thanx All,
Jethro

Comments

• Jethro,
    I know they are also known as "cauliflower mushrooms". like nearly all of the mushrooms they can be sliced and dried in a food dehydrator, and keep very well if stored properly...nde

• Jethro,
    Known as Eastern Cauliflower Mushroom. 6-12incheswide. 6-10inches high.
    Edibility:Choice
    Season:July-October
    Nothing known to be poisonous even remotely resembles this mushroom.
    Source: The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mushrooms. Gary Lincoff..published by Alford A. Knopf..nde

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Strm2Smoke,[p]Thanks, now I've got another name to reference in my search.[p]Jethro