Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm just a big ol' dumbass

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put my picnic shoulders (2 - 10 pounders) on at about 10 o'clock. Indirect using a pizza stone and on top of that a 14" deep dish pizza pan for the drippin's.
Slapped on MickeyT's # 1 smoke ring as the temp crept up to 200º. Bottom vent WIDE open.
Shouldn't be a problem. Nope Mickey's smoke rings really do their job though. BOD (big ol' dumbass) sat there an hour later calling our friend Mickey a bunch of names! Temp stayed rock solid on 200º!
Yadda, yadda, yadda and now I have the # 7 ring on and it appears to be holding steady on 250º at last! Didn't have enough sense to consider what the indirect mass would do to the temp.
The up side of the thing is the neighbor across the street and next door have come over to see what I'm cooking up. The air is still and quiet so the aroma of smoking shoulders wafts across the yards quite nicely.
If you use MickeyT's rings with a ceramic mass for indirect factor in at least a #5 or #6 ring again, with the bottom vemt WIDE open.
Think I'll go have something cold and reflect on my life as a BOD.
Sorry MickeyT ... I hadta blame someone for my stupidity.
Carey