Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggtoberfest Question

GirlyEgg
GirlyEgg Posts: 622
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay... so I'm signed up to cook (not sure what I'm making... but what the heck!). I've seen several folks ask this question, but the answer gets lost amid the banter (though I do enjoy the good banter!).[p]Anyway... someone had asked about chairs, so I get that.... another asked about decorating... okay... but I guess I'm interested in the logistics...[p]First, how are the eggs allocated for cooking? Do I just go "grab" one when I get there in the morning? Are they "placed" around the lot and I claim one? I need to finalize my cook plans, but need to gauge how much time I'll have to do it...[p]Second, I do have an EZ-up tent and tables that I use for Art & Craft shows (I make and sell jewelry and stained glass).... do folks bring that type of stuff? Other than food, serving and cook supplies... what should I bring?[p]I'm sorry for such elementary questions, but I want to be prepared! I want to be part of the "cool crowd"! Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    GirlyEgg, the EGGs are placed around the area in groups of approximately 4-5. People just go in and claim an area. Often times you will have a group of 8-10 cooks who share 4-5 eggs so they just cook all day. If you come across a group that is mall who does not have a tent, an EZ-UP will cause you to be immediately welcomed into the group. Remember there are a lot of people cooking so plan your cook to be efficient. Don't start an EGG and then sit around for an hour or so letting it heat with nothing on it while you prep. There will be some folks who come in all prepped while others like to prep on site. I have found that the cooking slows down around 2:00 so if you don't find an available egg immediately, ask around to find when folks are finishing up. All cooking needs to wind down around 3:00 so that eggs can cool before being carted off. That doesn't keep everyone from waiting to do that last bunch of ABTs at 4:00 but basically everyone is done and just eating whatever is already off the grill. It is a well organized chaos.

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    GirlyEgg,
    Some people bring a whole setup as in ez up, tables, chairs and others just bring their food and jump in wherever. There are tables and tents around but they get claimed pretty early.
    You'll find that everyone is pretty helpful and willing to share their space. Some groups plan to cook together and are pretty full while others have plenty of room for another egger. Also, look around because there are always a few eggs that go unnoticed and never get used. Bring whatever you want, it all works out.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ