Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini's first cook

Options
hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
mini01.jpg
<p />Fresh from Waldorf to Westminster. It's just too nice out to stay inside unpacking.
I didn't realize you could cook without the fire ring on a mini. That was a nice discovery.
mini02.jpg
Left over Korean beef ribs (Kalbi)
mini03.jpg
Cooking so close to the coals gets them done quick.
mini04.jpg
I'm gonna grow quite fond of this little guy.
mini05.jpg
Chow time
mini06.jpg

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    hayhonker, post to let us know what you think of the mini after you use it a few times. I have a large, but am sometimes tempted to get it a baby sister, either a small or a mini.

• Shilomare
    Shilomare Posts: 103
    Options
    hayhonker,[p]Jason, Don't let Alaskan-C know what she is missing....Our new mini is adjusting to the change of scenery but it wont be long before it too will be working on searing a couple of steaks!![p]Stay well and don't forget to post your marinade recipe for that fantastic flank steak we all enjoyed at the after party..[p]Richard and Carol

• TheGrillisGone
    Options
    hayhonker,[p]Great looking ribs![p]I have a large and just pick up a mini for my wife's Mother's Day surprise.[p]I can't find much info about cooking on the mini.
    Can you share cooking info you picked up at the fest?

I understand searing meat close to the fire...but I don't understand cooking that close to the coals.
    Why not fill the fire box full and leave the ring in? [p]Are you cooking with dome open or closed? [p]Any new products coming for mini?[p]Thanks!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    hayhonker,
    Nice yard. Have fun with the mini, max that baby out!

• Ottawa_egger
    Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
    Options
    Chuck/Tx,[p]Here's a pic of my first mini cook - a 28 day dry-aged ribeye and four ABTs.[p]<a href="http://photobucket.com&quot; target="_blank">IMG_0076.jpg[p]I have a large and a mini, and I use my mini as much if not more that my large. With the rest of the fam (wife and two girls, 7 & 9) not being the Alberta-raised carnivore that I am, we can frequently do cooks only on the mini ('dogs, chops, burgers). It's also great when I want something different than the rest of the fam (the girls still like Shepard's Pie and macaroni with ground beef type of dishes while I have no qualms about passing those meals up for a do-it-yourself-on-the-mini strip loin.)[p]Sometimes I wish I had goten a small, but given the Egg prices here in Canada (here I go again...), the best I could do for a second egg was a mini. If I had gotten a small then I would be only using my large about 10% of the time, if that. The problem is that the small is 2x the price of the mini here in Canada (CDN$799 list, or US$720).[p]The accessories offered for the mini by the Mothership are minimal (apparently they have recently discontinued the mini cover), but the kind tjv has made a wooring for the mini in the past which the owner claims to be indispensible. Just this past week I ordered a pair of Charbroil replacement cast iron grills which I plan to trim to make a cast iron grill for my mini.[p]Ottawa_egger
  • hayhonker
    Options
    Shilomare,
    Good morning to you! Yes, I have a feeling she'll figure it out on her own and there will be a good story about how she sneaks it home.
    I will get that recipe posted soemtime this week. I wonder if someone will be compiling a cookbook this year?
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll foodsaver the two left overs for next year. Marinate for 365 days and cook. LOL
    I enjoyed hanging out with you and hope the year treats you well.

• hayhonker
    Options
    TheGrillisGone,
    That's an awesome surprise for her! Very nice.
    There have been lots of posts about mini cooking. I don't see myself using it for much more than quick hot cooks. Door wide open and top off with the dome closed.
    The portablity just opens up so many doors. It is also very fast to heat up with so little lump. I was eating in less than 20 minutes.[p]As for being close to the coals, I believe you can cook sooner that way as opposed to waiting for more lump to burn. I've seen people put the meat right on the coals with no grate so there must be something to the "closer gives a better sear" theory.[p]I could fill it with more charcoal but that would just deplete my supply faster, and make things harder to clean up.[p]It would be necessary to fill it up if cooking for a long time. That little bit I used was just enough to cook two patches of ribs, and burn off the grease afterward. I'm still learning and the way I cook on it could change. I am looking forward to practicing.[p]Sure hope she appreciates the surprise. Have fun ~Jason

• Unknown
    Options
    Ottawa_egger, thanks for the reply. I'll be watching the forum for posts on the Mini to learn what people are saying about them. I'm in no rush, but may eventually get a small or mini.