Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt's Fat side Up or Down

Options
Canuck
Canuck Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 2 9lb pork butts I'm planning to cook fri afternoon for a sat afternoon meal. Will cook indirect with platesetter in med egg with BBQ Guru. Planning on apporx 23 hour cook. Both butts have a nice layer of fat on one side. Should I cook them fat side up, or down?[p]Thanks in advance for any advice. [p]Cheers[p]Canuck

Comments

• JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    Canuck,
    I cook mine fat side down. On a low n slow, you want to melt out the fat & cologen for pulled pork. Can't see why you'd go fat side up and run the melted fat down through the meat again. IMHO

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • Canuck,
    I have done it up & down & cannot tell the difference. Some will say fat side up (particularly with brisket) so the fat bastes the meat, which may be true, however I can never tell the difference. Pork butt is so inherently fatty and foregiving that it doesn't seem to matter what you do, it always turns out excellent - enjoy

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Canuck,
    Fat side down is my recommendation; put the fat to the heat, even if indirect. Let the 'lean side' develop the nice crust from the rub. No need for 23 hrs; if you have a way to monitor temp at the grill, go 240-250°F at grill level and the fat content of butts will keep meat moist. 2.5 hrs/lb is unnecessary and uncalled for with pork butts. Go 250°F grid and with your 9 lbers you'll have a fine product in about 12-14 hrs or so.
    Qfan

• Daddy Pat
    Options
    Canuck,
    I generally cook my pork butts fat side down and follow BBQfan1 idea about 250 at the grid and you should have yourself some good eatz. Please report back with results....Daddy Pat

• Canuck
    Canuck Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like I should be cooking fat side down, and simply aim for approx 200 degree internal with a 250 grid temp and not be terribly concerned with the time factor. [p]If I can figure out how I'll try and post a pic of the finished product, and the happy faces eating it. [p]Canuck[p]