Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just pick this up the other day and I don't know much about it. When was it made and what's the valu

Best Answers

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 291
    Answer ✓
    - Look's like my Kikuya Hibatchi Pot. I have a Nr5 circa 1977. 
    - Could not tell you the age of yours. When I was a kid my parents had one at Clark in the PI and that woukd have been late 50's.
    - Watch those bands and bayonet hinge closely. Especially the rivets. I have had them give up the ghost in the past.
    - Not sure if the Naked Whiz still has info posted on the clay kamado's. If not I still have all the paperwork and instructions from when I bought mine. Kind of an interesting read in the translation from JN to English.
  • 6baluts
    Answer ✓
    @brianfox

This is an oldie but goodie from the Imperial Kamado website. When Makosan sold the Imperial Kamado company to Augie the website went kaput. However this link still works and it has some good history on the clay kamado's.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090522143247/http://www.imperialkamado.com/index.htm

I hope the link above works when I pasted it.

I will send you pics of the kikuya hibatchi pot stuff I got when I purchased mine in Japan if you desire.

V/R
    Jeff

Answers

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,117
    edited July 29
    Wow, looks like an older Kamado made in Japan; that's quite a find!  Does the front bottom vent open/have a screen in it?  
    EDIT:  or it could be Chinese, I can't see the characters that clearly.  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,711
    @brianfox - you've come to the right place.  Welcome aboard.  The journey has just begun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • brianfox
    brianfox Posts: 6
    Botch said:
    Wow, looks like an older Kamado made in Japan; that's quite a find!  Does the front bottom vent open/have a screen in it?  
    EDIT:  or it could be Chinese, I can't see the characters that clearly.  
    Yes it opens, but no screen. Has been sitting in my father-in-law's backyard for approximately 30 years that he has owned it
  • brianfox
    6baluts said:
    - Look's like my Kikuya Hibatchi Pot. I have a Nr5 circa 1977. 
    - Could not tell you the age of yours. When I was a kid my parents had one at Clark in the PI and that woukd have been late 50's.
    - Watch those bands and bayonet hinge closely. Especially the rivets. I have had them give up the ghost in the past.
    - Not sure if the Naked Whiz still has info posted on the clay kamado's. If not I still have all the paperwork and instructions from when I bought mine. Kind of an interesting read in the translation from JN to English.
    What's  it say
  • brianfox
    6baluts said:
    @brianfox

This is an oldie but goodie from the Imperial Kamado website. When Makosan sold the Imperial Kamado company to Augie the website went kaput. However this link still works and it has some good history on the clay kamado's.

https://web.archive.org/web/20090522143247/http://www.imperialkamado.com/index.htm

I hope the link above works when I pasted it.

I will send you pics of the kikuya hibatchi pot stuff I got when I purchased mine in Japan if you desire.

V/R
    Jeff

Yes, thank you
  • 6baluts
    @brianfox
    - Not sure if you will be able to manipulate these to read. If not let me know I will PM them to you.
    - My attaching files/pics skill is zilch so this will be over multiple posts.
    - This is the left side of a single legal size page.

• 6baluts
    @brianfox

- Right side of legal side page.

• 6baluts

@brianfox

- Cover of pamphlet.

• 6baluts

@brianfox

- The pamphlet when opened is in 3 columns. This pic has left and center columns.

• 6baluts

@brianfox

- backside of pamphlet.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,117
    Very cool to look thru that, @6baluts; thanks!  

"When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

- Lin Yutang

• sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 229

XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • 6baluts
    @Botch

- Picked it up right outside the gate of Yokota at the Pony Store. My better 95% and I were doing a Commissary Crawl started at Yokota, then hit Zama and ended up back home in Yoko.
    - Surprisingly the Kikuya has made it through 3 OCONUS moves unscathed, considering the lowest bidder moving/shipping involved.

• brianfox
    6baluts said:

@brianfox

- backside of pamphlet.

Thank you for the info it was very helpful
  • 6baluts
    @brianfox

- Sir a couple of things:

If your cooker has been sitting for 30 years as you indicated, you most likely have sucked up some moisture.  I would light a few pieces of coal and then drop the lid and let the coals burn out.  You may see some steam come out of the lid and base of the Kamado.  No issues with that, that was the intent.

These old clay Kamado's are not designed to cook in the rain.  It will most likely crack if you do.  That link I provided above has some very good info in it and it has a restoration section if you ever crack it.  If possible, keep it out of the rain when it is not lit also.

Additionally, your clay Kamado is not designed for really high temps like the more modern ceramic Kamado's.

- In those pictures I sent if you could read them it talks about temp control.  Yes, you can control temperature with the sliding damper and the rain cover (damper top).  It is quite easy once you get the hang of it.  However, if you can find one of the older style daisy wheels for a LBGE, Primo or take a look on the Kamado Kings website you could get one of those and it may simplify temp control for you.

- The rain cap/damper top is one of the most easily breakable items with your clay pot.  Be mindful if you are using it to control temps when opening the lid.  Not sure if you could find a replacement.  BGE's used to ship (not sure anymore) with a rain cap, and they pretty much are a direct fit if you happen to break yours.

- You are lucky you have one of the original movable bases I think they were called them wagon wheels. Mine are a bit different style. I had to replace mine.  Mine got a bit dinged up in one of my moves.

- As mentioned earlier pay close attention to the bolts and rivets in the bayonet band.

- Hope you give it a go and you enjoy cooking on it.

V/R
    6B
  • brianfox
    Wondering if I should refinish it or is it going to take away the value and what is it worth the way it sits
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,292
    30 minutes for bbq ribs....does the book have directions on how to do that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it