Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humpty's new home

Fingers
Fingers Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
egg_home.jpg
<p /> This is my fathers day gift to me. The area to the left of the table that holds the large egg is for a table for a small. That table will have places for lump,chips&chunks,and Eggcessories. The Question I have is... since part of this table will have solid panels what is the minimum air space that I will need to keep from scorching the solid panels?
Thanks
Fingers

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Fingers,[p]That is impressive and looks great! Did you build it all in one weekend?[p]Smokey
  • Fingers
    Smokey,
    No it has taken over a month to build. although I believe that one could build the structure in a couple of weekends. I wanted a pattern in the concrete and that required that I mix and pour the floor by hand using sack concrete. So that took over a week. It also has dusk-to-dawn sensors that will allow me to install either conventional lighting or low voltage lights. I also did some preliminary work to allow for a garden with some type of water attraction to the left of the structure. [p]

• Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    fingers,
    I must say you did it right! I built a cart to hold 2 of my Eggs, but after a few downpours, I wish I'd have gone to your extent!
    It really looks fine![p]Dr. Chicken

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Fingers,[p]Just one word.....AWESOME!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    fingers,
    On the air space question..I think around a inch.[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Fingers,[p]Beautifully done! How I wish I had carpentry skills like that.[p]K~G

• Fingers
    Char-Woody,
    Thanks for the response. I tend to agree with your thought.
    My observations have been that for some reason the surface temperature of the Egg is higher near the bottom. So if I allow an inch or two spacing where the Egg passes thru the table the natural taper of the Egg will give much greater clearance near the bottom.
    Fingers

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Fingers, If one were to leave a half inch of ash on the bottom continually, you could set the BGE directly on wood without a problem..The ash insulates very affectively. Try it some time during a burn and feel the bottom both when clean and with ash. Carefull tho when its hot as I have seen the bottom smoking. With ash in it, its still cool.
    Just a suggestion...not a all around recommendation.
    Cheers..C~W[p]