Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's Baby Backs: I cheated.

Options
Like I said in my other post; it was supposed to rain today but it never happened at my location.

I used mustard for a base on the 3 racks then rubbed with Rippleman's Shake It Shake It sugar-free rub. The plan was to use the 3-2-1 process.

Then I started in an aluminum pan using a cup of water and half a bottle of The Shed Spicy Vinegar BBQ sauce and marmalade. Poured the sauce on the ribs and into the water. Into the oven at 300 for 3 hours. After that I added the rest of the sauce to the ribs and then put aluminum foil over the pan and back into the oven for 2 hours.

This is after they came out of the oven and I cut them in half.

Fired up the MiniMax and got it stable at about 325. Rockwood lump with a couple of Apple chunks.

Three half racks onto the MMX for 30 minutes. Rubbed them with Blues hog before going on the egg and then at the 15 minute mark. Pulled them and foiled them to rest while I did the other three half racks the same way.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Looks like some good eats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It looks good, and I bet it was!  

But I'm curious: Your approach is a great one for people who have a grill that won't work as a smoker.  But I want my ribs sitting in smoke for the whole cook!  Why do most of a BBQ cook in a non-BBQ oven?
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Theophan said:
    It looks good, and I bet it was!  

But I'm curious: Your approach is a great one for people who have a grill that won't work as a smoker.  But I want my ribs sitting in smoke for the whole cook!  Why do most of a BBQ cook in a non-BBQ oven?
    The biggest reason for doing it that way yesterday was the threat of Rain. If I use the Large on my covered back porch the smoke smell gets in to the soffet/ceiling  or something and that half of the house smells like smoke.

My wife likes BBQ but not the smell of smoke.

If just her and I and only one or two racks I would have cut them and done them all the way on the MM. But I bought these at Restaurant Depot and I didn't realize there were 3 racks in the package. I usually buy St. Louis ribs from RD and they are two to the pack.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    The biggest reason for doing it that way yesterday was the threat of Rain...
    Ah... I saw the reference to rain but I didn't make the connection.  Got it--thanks!