Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your preferred method to cook tri tip?

Options
I'm cooking for another good size gathering today and my donation to my niece was 6 tri tip roasts.  I typically smoke it at about 225 and then when it hits 120-125 i'll sear it a little for a few minutes.  

Curious to see how you guys do it.  I'm going to store them in a cooler to take to the party and slice it there.
San Diego, CA

Comments

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    Sounds like you already do it the best way!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    A George Foreman. Happy Friday!!!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I'm cooking for another good size gathering today and my donation to my niece was 6 tri tip roasts.  I typically smoke it at about 225 and then when it hits 120-125 i'll sear it a little for a few minutes.  

Curious to see how you guys do it.  I'm going to store them in a cooler to take to the party and slice it there.
    Your method will work just fine, myself ... I like my tri tip to finish in the 135/140 range, when I sear .. I take my egg to somewhere in the 600 to 700 degree range for a quick sear. It's magical.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Pre smoked on egg until it gets to about 120, then Sous Vide for 12 hours at 131.  Then sear.

Not sure I'll ever go back to the old way, but there are plenty of ways to skin the cat.

Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I do about the same as you but pull at 110 to 115 then sear at over 500.  If your method works no reason to change. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    My preferred way is indirect start until IT hits about 115-120 and sear to finish a minute per side.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    blasting said:

Pre smoked on egg until it gets to about 120, then Sous Vide for 12 hours at 131.  Then sear.

Not sure I'll ever go back to the old way, but there are plenty of ways to skin the cat.

This I need to try! I've done the SV then sear, but never the "pre smoke". Sounds like a winner
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like SV then sear.  I like @blastings idea too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Reverse sear on egg or forward sear on kettle 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Sous vide for 12 hrs. Then sear on ci grate over mesquite
    Filet tender, new york flavor...crowd pleaser
  • westernbbq
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    @danv23 and @westernbbq: I cut my tri-tips in half for my own convenience, there's only two of us, but probably it works for a whole one. I treat it like steak...130° F. for 1 to 2 hours (depends on whether it's the thin or thick end, for me). Season it before SV-ing it, or not. DON'T overcook it when reverse searing! Keep flipping it so all sides are seared and use that Thermapen. I aim for a finished 130° F., but with the uneven thickness at the small end, it's a guess.
    When SV cooking a Tri-Tip roast - TIME... is your tenderizer. 

IMHO a 2 hour SV cook at 131° on a Tri-Tip roast is under cooked, the meat is too tough. From experience I can say that a 24 hour cook at 131° on a Tri-Tip roast is over cooked, the meat becomes to mushy! 

Being a californian where tri-tip is abundant and having experimented on SVing many Tri-Tip roasts... I can say that 12 to 15 hours is the sweet spot - at 131°.  After it is seared it will be as tender as a filet mignon. I like to serve it with a bernaise sauce. 

I sear them either in a cast iron skillet or on my charcoal starter with a BBQ grate over it. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Getting ready for another sous vide venture with tri tips....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Wow, I am behind the times.  I go hot and fast all the way  flipping a bunch.  Tri-Tips are my quick cook.  Then slice cross grain and board sauce.  Usually doesn't make it past the cutting board.

I slice avocados and caramelize onions to go with it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I grill them, like a steak.  No low and slow.  But when I have time, I SV them.  Love the tenderness with the nice sirloin like beefiness ..
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Dammit. I need a SV. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    been following morrobayrich's recipe for years, really like the way tritip takes to basting and added flavor
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    been following morrobayrich's recipe for years, really like the way tritip takes to basting and added flavor
    Found it. http://www.eggsbythebay.com/eggfest-recipes.html

I've never seen a tri tip around here... but I just discovered that there's now a Trader Joe's near me AND they sell tri tips! Will have to "tri" this!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I use APL's method.... rub it down with a beef bouillon / soy sauce paste, then direct grill low 'n slow, basting & flipping every few minutes with one of his oil/garlic/herb concoctions.  No need to sear at the end as it's well browned by the time the center hits 130F. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave