Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Turkey + Ken Stone's Witchy Red

Options
Two 'projects in one this weekend. A while back I read a posting where someone referred to a rub called Witchy Red made by Ken Stone and Bluesmoke. Ken (I think) went out of business and then was kind enough to post the recipe for Witchy Red here. I ordered the ingredients (off Amazon) and they sat in my cabinet for a while. With cool rainy weather on Saturday I decided to assemble it. To be honest I made 40% of a batch. A full recipe makes over 66 ounces and I wasn't sure I'd need that much so I scaled it down. It was pretty easy to put together and then I put it in the KitchenAide mixer on low for a few minutes to blend.

Thanks to @RRP for the jars to put them in, but it still wasn't enough!

I also did a trial run for Thanksgiving, stuffing a turkey breast. Recipe was pretty basic, stuffed with stuffing (boxed), dried cranberries, and chopped pecans. 

I did put a little Witchy Red on top so I could 'test it out!

Overall I was happy with the results. Loved the stuffing, loved the Witchy Red. Only complaint was that the outside got a little tough. I did a little research for other recipes afterwards and found that people will put the skin back on the roll as a 'cover' or wrap it in bacon. I think either of these would solve the problem.

Making three of these for Thanksgiving, each with a different 'stuffing' in them. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    That looks great.  I've found that a wet brine does wonders for the breast.  Anywhere from 4-24 hours have yielded great results for me.

Haven't brined and stuffed, but don't see why that wouldn't work.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Thanks for the Ken Stone reminder. First met Ken at the 2007 Florida Eggfest in Ocala, FL. Great guy who unfortunately passed away. Loved his rubs.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mike,
    Looks good and sounds good! BTW I always found that Witchy Red worked wonders on pork cuts of any sorts. Though I never tried it on a pork butt as my stash of that wonderful rub was too limited and "precious" to use that much on a butt. 
    As for a brine one that I have been using with much success was posted elsewhere by @ClayQ and works amazingly quick and well. I often even cut the portions, but not the time for say just 2 or 3 tenderloin sandwiches. The brine is 4 T each of white sugar and fine canning salt in 1 Qt cold water letting the meat swim in that for 75 minutes. 
    Glad you liked the Witchy Red - that means the legend of the late Ken Stone a.k.a BlueSmoke lives on!
    Ron
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited October 2017
    Options
    He lived just a few miles from me here in Florida and would go to the fests here in Florida.

in '09 RRP posted some comments along with the recipe that Ken graciously provided.
    2009/01/30---RRP---Just some background info about Witchy Red. Ken Stone aka Blue Smoke is a retired school teacher from CO now living in FL. Over the years he developed 8 or 10 unique dry rubs and won some awards with them. He also produced some wonderful sauces. Over a year ago he said he grew tired of his cottage business as it was more hassle than money maker for him and he abruptly folded his tent. By that time after 7 or 8 years I swear I was literally hooked on his Witchy Red and I only had a bottle and a half left! I savored it and cut back on the big uses such as on baby backs - then I cut out using it on pork loins, and no more chicken or fish either. Soon I was down to pork burgers and ABT's and I'd be a miser and catch any excess on waxed paper!
    Then out of the blue about a month ago, Ken shared his recipe! He told me it was his least profitable one as it contains some unusual spices not even commonly found at the big spice houses like Penzeys. Needless to say I was elated to receive the formula! By the time I had acquired all 15 spices plus shaker containers I had over $200 invested. Some of the more unusual spices are:

Ken's original post along with the recipe.
    http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=569483&catid=1

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is how I like to do the birds and breasts alone.

Brine, Poultry, Turkey, Whole, T-Day '13, Richard Fl.

INGREDIENTS:
    Brining Salt
    5 Tbs Garlic Powder
    1 Cup Indian River Seasoning Salt
    1 Cup Turbindo Sugar
    1 Cup Canadian Maple Syrup
    1 Cup Soy  Sauce
    2 Tbs Indian River Rainbow Pepper
    4 Tbs  Indian River Spice Blend, Like Italian Seasonings
    1 Tsp Poultry Seasoning
    1 Whole Lemon, Zest of same, then cut into 8 wedges, squeeze juice and add pieces.
    Basting Liquid:
    1 Cup Canadian Maple Syrup
    1 Cup Italian Salad Dressing

1. Placed brining ingredients all in a small pot and brought to a light boil to dissolve the sugar.  Let Cool.

2. Placed 16# whole turkey  in a cooler large enough to let the bird be covered with liquid and ice to about 3-4 inches over the bird.  Placed the bird in cooler, covered with water and then poured the cooled brine in.  Covered with about 5#'s ice and kept chilled for 36 hours.  Adding ice as necessary to keep cool.  Had previously punctured the bird with numerous knife jabs to allow the brine to seep in.

3. Removed the bird after 36 hours and soaked in plain water for 3 hours.  Removed from water and patted dry.  Placed uncovered in refrigerator overnight.  Removed next morning, (breast temperature 45F),

4. Placed bird in  large BGE and set it up indirect with a water drip pan , 2"'s water, sitting on 1/2" copper "T"'s 350F, apple wood for smoke. Basted every 20-30 minutes.

Recipe Type: Brine

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2013/05/23**
    Web Page: http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1346070&catid=1