Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sam's Club Plate Ribs

Bought a two pack cryo of choice plate ribs after opening a "mislabeled" pack from my home grown cow. I say mislabeled because I think the processor didn't know what they were and slapped the label on some back bones (6 bones in it with nothing but fat above). No pics of those. 

Getting close to the the finish line. Black Ops and cherry wood. 
Large BGE in Moore, OK

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Just ate dinner, am stuffed. But really, can I just pinch off some of that fat up front? And then,well, a shred of the meat from way in the back that look all blackened,  Etc.

In other worlds, just looks way too good.
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    First go with them. Pretty good! Wife and baby and I split the middle one so there's a little leftover! Took about 6 hours at 250-300. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso

Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @gdenby.... can I just pinch off some of that fat up front? Classic line. Will try next weekend at the bar. Food looks amazing. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Outstanding! 
  • Those look awesome. Ive never seen those at sam's. 

Little Rock, AR

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Those look awesome. Ive never seen those at sam's. 
    At my Sams Club you have to ask for them. It's the same way with tri tip. They have them both on hand. 
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    @maso Did you find the Black Ops and cherry wood to be overpoweringly sweet? I have been hesitant to use cherry with that rub since I find it a little sweet on its own. 
  • maso
    edited August 2017
    Thanks sir!

As mentioned above you have to ask and they'll grab them from the back. At my club they typically slice them thin across the bones and put them in a pack. Often the do the same with the tri tip but they usually have a whole roast out as well. 

Once I saw a small short rib 4 pack. I asked today and the guy told me they'll cut them however you want but the price goes up. In the case of these ribs it as about $0.70 cheaper per pound to just buy the case. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso
    CoMoBGE said:
    @maso Did you find the Black Ops and cherry wood to be overpoweringly sweet? I have been hesitant to use cherry with that rub since I find it a little sweet on its own. 
    I'll be honest up front I'm terrible about telling flavor notes from things (wine, beer, cigars, smoking woods) but I can tell you that I liked the combo. Second time I've tried Black Ops. The first was a failed brisket so I don't count that. I can't say I love the rub but it was good tonight. 

Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso said:
    Thanks sir!

As mentioned above you have to ask and they'll grab them from the back. At my club they typically slice them thin across the bones and put them in a pack. Often the do the same with the tri tip but they usually have a whole roast out as well. 

Once I saw a small short rib 4 pack. I asked today and the guy told me they'll cut them however you want but the price goes up. In the case of these ribs it as about $0.70 cheaper per pound to just buy the case. 
    Are you in arkansas?

Little Rock, AR

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I stopped by Sams yesterday. Didn't know they sold meat. Jkoc. 
  • maso
    maso said:
    Thanks sir!

Are you in arkansas?
    Born and raised in the River Valley but moved to OKC for work. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • maso
    I stopped by Sams yesterday. Didn't know they sold meat. Jkoc. 
    That's funny cause they don't sell anything that delicious at my club!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • Ok. Gotcha. Thought yiu were in Ok but wasnt positive. 

Little Rock, AR

• ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    They look great! They're called "plate ribs"? I've never seen them at Sam's either. I'm sure going to ask next time I'm there.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg