Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon & Green Chile Hominy Casserole

Options
GATraveller
GATraveller Posts: 8,207
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
I kinda followed a Jess Pryles recipe for this.  

7 slices bacon
2 15.5 oz cans of hominy drained (reserve a bit of the liquid)
1 medium onion chopped
2oz Sharp Cheddar
2oz Havarti
2oz Jack
2 4.5oz cans green chiles (drained) I'll use hatch when I can get my hands on some.
2 Tbsp sour cream
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a cast iron pan:

Chop bacon and fry till crisp.  Remove from pan.
Cook onion in bacon grease until golden brown.  Remove from pan.
Reduce heat and add both cans of hominy and a bit of the liquid. Stir till warm.
Increase heat back to medium and add chiles, onions, sour cream, paprika, salt, pepper, half the bacon and half the cheese.
Sprinkle remaining cheese and bacon on top.
Place in a 320 degree oven for 15 minutes.

My picture:

Her picture (because mine sucks):

This was awesome and went great with bbq!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
Peachtree Corners, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This looks fantastic. I'v done something similar with grits, so I may adapt the extra stuff here.

• GATraveller
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This looks fantastic. I'v done something similar with grits, so I may adapt the extra stuff here.

I've used hominy in Posole and love so started looking for another use.  It really was fantastic.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking side item with lots of flavor...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I have some smoked corn in the freezer. I think I use that instead of the hominy. Yours looks really good!
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Dang, that looks good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• GATraveller
    Options
    Dang, that looks good!

It was. Give it a go. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Golfguy77
    Golfguy77 Posts: 93
    Options
    Wowser!  Looks awesome.