Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Best donut I've ever tasted.

Options
So I am usually a Krispy Kreme, hot and gooey right off the line donut guy. My wife often travels for her job and yesterday she hosted a training session and when she does that, she provides pastries and coffee in the morning.
She found a local bakery and got some stuff there including bacon and maple glazed donuts. Knowing how much I like bacon, she saved me one and brought it home.
It was the best donut I have ever tasted. The real bacon on top, not bacon bits or something weird, with its salty, savory, smoky flavor contrasted nicely with the maple glaze. It was very good. I only ate half last night, because of the sugar spike to come, and saved half for this morning, when it was still just as good. She said it was a little, out of the way bakery and does not even know the name of it in a town she was passing through, so I may never get this again, but if she goes that way again, I will ask for more. Just wanted to share the pic.

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    That looks like it would be my favorite too!!! Dang!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

It was very good. I only ate half 

You stopped at half a donut?  I'm not doubting you, but that doesn't even compute for me.

Phoenix 
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    blasting said:

It was very good. I only ate half 

You stopped at half a donut?  I'm not doubting you, but that doesn't even compute for me.

Type 2 diabetic who should have stopped at one bite, but I could never have done that.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    In Louisville there is a bakery called "Nords Bakery" that has a maple/bacon donut that is the bomb!  Their donuts are the best in the city anyway, but that one is over the top.
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Looks amazing.

Scratch Cupcakery in Coralville, IA, bakes Maple Bacon cupcakes very similar, on Fridays.  All of their cupcakes are divine, but that one stands tall.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Focker said:
    Looks amazing.

Scratch Cupcakery in Coralville, IA, bakes Maple Bacon cupcakes very similar, on Fridays.  All of their cupcakes are divine, but that one stands tall.  
    Lived 3miles up the road from the Coralville strip some years ago. I would have put a hurtin' on that place!

There's a place near me that makes a maple glazed bacon topped donut and it's pretty damn good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    caliking said:
    Focker said:
    Looks amazing.

Lived 3miles up the road from the Coralville strip some years ago. I would have put a hurtin' on that place!

There's a place near me that makes a maple glazed bacon topped donut and it's pretty damn good. 

I hear ya.  I'm 300lbs, would be 400 plus if I lived closer to Scratch and Hurts Donuts.

Scratch is always a must stop at exit 242, when passing through. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Bluedot donuts here in NOLA was found by cops (!!) and they have a maple bacon log that is amazing.
    NOLA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You need to preface posts like this with "May not be suitable for adults. Rated CG-65 for excessive fantasy overindulgence."