Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pro Tip: If you wanted to serve a 45-day dry aged roast for christmas dinner, it's too late. But...

Options
JustineCaseyFeldown
JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
If you run out and get one tomorrow, you'll be at 37 days, which is not bad for the first time.

truth be told, this is a very old pic of a 'steak' (small roast), that I bought.  i don't seem to have any of my how-to-dry-age pics that i uploaded to photobucket a million years ago. 

i've been dry aging for maybe 9 or 10 years i think.  dunno. and answered more than a few questions about it.  unfortunately... no pics of the process.  looking now thru my files, my pics are few and far between. shrug. my photobucket account is toast. i posted most of this stuff a good number of years ago on the original forum.  the fourm this place ripped off.

i can tell you this, even if you only dry it for a few days, it will still be better than cooking fresh.

no one would call five days 'aging', but you will get crust and color at 225-250 temps far better than with a fresh roast.  you want the surface to dry as much as possible.

we aren't doing Christmas dinner for the extended family this year.  but no reason you can't.   get on it.

1.) buy the Christmas prime rib (bone in is ideal, but not necessary) TOMORROW.  three bone minimum, or the whole subprimal (seven bones)

2.) unwrap from the cryovac plastic.  rinse, pat dry and then...

3.) onto a couple cooling racks over a large cookie sheet.  you will get maybe one or two drops, max.

4.) into the beer fridge or the bottom (coldest) part of your kitchen fridge

5.) ignore until Christmas day.

6.) slice off the heel ends of the roast AND NOTHING MORE.  if you have the whole seven bone subprimal, hack off the Christmas roast from either end, and slice the remainder into steaks (vac seal and freeze those).

7.) don't trim a frigging thing, or the ghost of stike will come down your chimney and smother you in your sleep.  trimming is for pansies.

8.) pour a half dollar sized pool of oil in the palm of your hand, rub them together, and rub the roast with it. 

9.) dust/cover/slather with salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs... whatever looks and sounds good

10.) into the BGE at 225-250 max until it is done.  when will it be done? who cares. have another frigging glass of champagne or wine, it's Christmas, and you have nowhere else to be. (couple hours max, usually).  yank it at your desired temp (120, 125, 130, 135...)  anything more than that and you should just microwave it

Steve "Doing God's work" Nelson
The Chicken-sh!t Ranch, Ontario (Steven's House)

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Here's yet another question you may be able to help me with. 

Most of the photos I see here are rib roasts or rib primals. I assume other roasts would be fine too. My local Costco has whole NY Strip loins right now. How would a loin strip age and does it take as long for a similar result given that it's a bit thinner?  Thx. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • steelcity314
    Options
    I've never dry aged beef before, but you don't rub the beef with salt or anything before putting it in the fridge?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    gmac said:
    Thanks for the advice. Here's yet another question you may be able to help me with. 

Most of the photos I see here are rib roasts or rib primals. I assume other roasts would be fine too. My local Costco has whole NY Strip loins right now. How would a loin strip age and does it take as long for a similar result given that it's a bit thinner?  Thx. 
    here's a strip loin i did. 

here's the seared steak (that piece at left is the 'heel' off the end.  the chef's treat.  basically jerky)

the yield

they get very thin when done.  you can go 45, but i dunno.  i like strips fresh to be honest.  i dry age rib eyes only now.  better cross section, more yield.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I've never dry aged beef before, but you don't rub the beef with salt or anything before putting it in the fridge?
    no.  anyone who told you that was necessary is just repeating some stupid thing a guy told them at a cookout.

:)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options

7.) don't trim a frigging thing, or the ghost of stike will come down your chimney and smother you in your sleep.  trimming is for pansies.

funny stuff...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    hmmmm.  i logged into photobucket with an old email address, and found a few pics.  will see if i can find the dry aging step by step pics.

until then, here is a sad remembrance from a few years ago.  stike's obituary.  he was a real a-hole, to be honest, but this was a great obituary.

• steelcity314
    Options
    no.  anyone who told you that was necessary is just repeating some stupid thing a guy told them at a cookout.

:)
    Haha thank you!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No. You're not curing, your dry aging. Nothing on the roast. It's amazing!  Give it a try. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Great post. Looking forward to the old pictures. 
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    hmmmm.  i logged into photobucket with an old email address, and found a few pics.  will see if i can find the dry aging step by step pics.

until then, here is a sad remembrance from a few years ago.  stike's obituary.  he was a real a-hole, to be honest, but this was a great obituary.

That's some funny ****! I hope they didn't throw that basement meat away!!
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    That roast is beautiful in color. I've always seared but when I dry age I will roast from start to finish and hope it looks this good.

Is that test tubes in the background with spices inside and wine cork tops? 

Care to share the pudding details? 

Snellville, GA

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    That roast is beautiful in color. I've always seared but when I dry age I will roast from start to finish and hope it looks this good.

Is that test tubes in the background with spices inside and wine cork tops? 

Care to share the pudding details? 

yeah.  test tubes i bought as a rack for not much cash.  scientific online store.  filled with the stuff we use most.

i just googled for a half hour and had no luck finding them.  weird.  i foudn other stuff, but plastic racks, nothing simple like what we got.  i wrote the names of the stuff on the cork in india ink, because i'm an artsy fartsy type.

Christmas puddin... well.  i have a diary from when we came over in 1856, on a packet ship.  my great great great grandmother was so sick, that she couldn't cook dinner.  the passengers, even those in the state rooms, had to cook their own food from the  'stores'.  well, my g-g-great grandfather apparently had some coin, and he paid the captain's cook (not the ship's cook) to cook dinner for the entire trip.  six weeks....

on christmas day they had leg of pork and christmas pudding.  i have been trying various recipes for pudding over the year, and basically it is alcohol soaked fruit cake, almost like new england brwn bread, but worse.  not my cup of tea.  finally worked out a recipe that is lighter and figgy, and doesn't have the random texture of nuts and dried fruit.  so, upholding the tradition but not the technical english christmas pudding.

you can pour grand marnier or any other liqueur over it and fire it off.

---------------------

stike's half-arsed Figgy Pudding
    2 eggs-beaten
    1 stick of butter-melted
    1 cup maple syrup (or molasses, or brown sugar, or mixture of all amounting to a cup total)
    2 cups pureed figs (buy dried and rehydrate)
    1 cup cream or buttermilk
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    Mix wet ingredients, add dry, then stir well. Bake on 325 degrees for 1 hour and 15 min or until done (doesn’t jiggle).
    Cool 15 minutes before turning out of pan (i use a small stainless steel mixing bowl, but they make molds for this too).
    drizzle a little or a lot with grand marnier (or brandy, etc.), turn down the lights, and light with a long match. the longer you wait to light it, the more flame there will be due to evaporation. don't wait too long.

serve with whipped cream

adapted from a few online recipes

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Lagavulin. Nice. Mmmm...smokey.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Haha good story. I'm thinking that was a costly trip for grandpa. Thanks for the recipe. 
    Snellville, GA

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Haha good story. I'm thinking that was a costly trip for grandpa. Thanks for the recipe. 
    I just checked and it was leg of mutton they had for christmas dinner. They were just off George's Banks. 

And the dessert was "plum pudding ", although i found out when first researching jt that it simply means a typical fruitcake pudding. No actual plums in the plum pudding
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    gmac said:
    Laphroaig is even smokier in my book. Both good though
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    gmac said:
    Laphroaig is even smokier in my book. Both good though
    Ardbeg is nice and smokey as well.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you like Laphroaig you may like The Ardberg. Quite peaty. 

Lagavulin Distillers Edition is just about my favorite scotch ever. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown, question. We bought half a cow and had the standing rib roast cut at that time. Butcher wrapped it and we have it frozen. Can I take it out and do this now?
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    caliking said:
    If you like Laphroaig you may like The Ardberg. Quite peaty. 

Lagavulin Distillers Edition is just about my favorite scotch ever. 
    Like em all actually. 

Have not had the Distillers' Edition tho. 
    Lagavulin 16   Damn good

BilZol said:
    @JustineCaseyFeldown, question. We bought half a cow and had the standing rib roast cut at that time. Butcher wrapped it and we have it frozen. Can I take it out and do this now?
    Sure. But i always advise people to buy and try a dry aged steak before trying to dry age a whole roast. And you may feel skittish aging a whole month the first time

but it can certainly be done now. Even a week will be good for color and crust. Juat won't be aged much in a week. 28 days is where the aged flavor kicks in

But seriously, if you haven't tried it before, might not wanna do it for Christmas 
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options

Sure. But i always advise people to buy and try a dry aged steak before trying to dry age a whole roast. And you may feel skittish aging a whole month the first time

but it can certainly be done now. Even a week will be good for color and crust. Juat won't be aged much in a week. 28 days is where the aged flavor kicks in

But seriously, if you haven't tried it before, might not wanna do it for Christmas 
    Good advice. I'll try a week or two though. I know it's not much but it sounds like it's pretty safe. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Safe isn't so much the issue as trusting yourself and knowing that it is gonna get brown and hard. And then all your guests go " um. So what is THAT?!?"  Haha

i never show anyone until it comes out of the bge
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Never trust yourself, it just might kill you.  Sheesh.
  • bgebrent
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Can anyone vouch for this self described "pro"?  He seems somewhat untrustworthy, at least when it comes to roasts.  Someone is gonna get sick.  #stike.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    I don't think i ever described myself as a "pro". 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Can anyone vouch for this self described "pro"?  He seems somewhat untrustworthy, at least when it comes to roasts.  Someone is gonna get sick.  #stike.
    This is funny! 
    Snellville, GA

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Wow what a fantastic Post.. Very interesting and great pics.. Thanks.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    It is a fantastic post, and timely as well. Bought my roast, and it is sitting in the fridge drying and rotting since Sat. Best part? A buddy of mine wants half, so we are splitting it. He insisted on $20 lb for my "time and inconvenience". Ummmmmm. Okay.  
    Got a 19lbr for I think it was a tad under $11/lb for prime at Costco. So I think my 43 day old is going to cost me about $20 for Xmas

@JustineCaseyFeldown
    Question about meat grade and dry aging. I know you can dry any quality meat. We also know fat is where the flavor is. 
    So the question..... Is there a noticeable difference between a choice vs prime grade dry aged steak other than the fat content?  I know everyone's taste is different. But say I have 2 identical roasts on choice and one prime,  both aged 45 days, am I going to notice a difference once aged?

I am a firm believer that usually you get what you pay for, and I try to start with the best ingredients as possible. I also know you can make a great piece of meat not so good but a not so great  piece only so good.

Or maybe you want less fat when dry aging?

Just thinking as I am typing. I think you know I have done this several times, but I have always used prime.  Maybe choice is just as good in this case?

Thoughts?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    but it had a face :s
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania