Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Made a BIG Batch of Mickey's Coffee Rub Today

Options
This is my second big batch. It can get used up fast! I ground up the black peppercorns in the Cuisinart spice grinder--one of my FAVORITE tools.

I had to sift through it and squeeze out all the brown sugar lumps.

Here's Mickey's recipe:

Equal part: instant espresso ground coffee

Equal part: brown sugar

¾ part: ancho chili powder

½ part: black pepper

½ part: kosher salt

½ part: garlic powder

Don't worry on exact measurements. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard Fl, then tweaked.

I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area (have used both light or dark version).

I make it starting with a half cup of Instant espresso ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.    
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    What's your favorite things to put it on? 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Anything with meat! Steak, pork, chicken...I never tried vegetables.
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Works well on veggies also especially if you slice them thick and CI pan blacken it like a steak. Example: Cauliflower Steaks. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Judy Mayberry
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL: Are you home? You must be on the mend if you are back at food-ing! Good for you!
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Ms Judy I'm always thinking of foodie stuff. Just got home and no I'm not egging. :(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I fell in love with MCR !!!!  I've done Thanksgiving turkey, Spatches, rib eyes, and pork tenderloins.

I haven't tried it on ice cream yet...but I bet its good !!!!

A friend made me a spice cake last week and she made a mocha icing...with coffee.....it tasted just like MCR !!!!!!!

Thanks for the post !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Great work, Judy!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Thanks, Scott. The JoeTisserie and a book on rotisserie chicken came today and I'm feeling faint with anticipation.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Ms Judy I'm always thinking of foodie stuff. Just got home and no I'm not egging. :(
    Glad to hear you are home! Will you be posting a separate thread telling the world what happened?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We miss you girl. Hope to get toSD soon. Headed to the far NE in a couple of weeks. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RRP
    Options
    Cool, Judy! I have never made that large of a batch. In fact I keep mine in a small Ball brand pint size jar supposedly sealed ever so tightly - yet when I just checked I see that rub is now a rock! Wonder if I should just pitch it as it must have lost any potency it had. Oh well - live and learn! Hopefully you will use your large batch before the "rock-et-take-over-it"!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    MCR is good stuff. I think I spiked my last batch with a 1/4 part of cayenne since I like the heat. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    it's very good.  I couldn't find Ancho so swapped it with Chipolte.  It's freaking hot!
    Apollo Beach, FL
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @RRP: I had the first bottle for a very long time. People often say spices loose their punch quickly, but my experience is that they last a long, long time. My Dizzy Pig rubs get solid a lot, so I break them up with something sharp and the still perform. Maybe it's more humid in IL, so try putting it in glass and not plastic. Whatever it's in, try stabbing some into a powder and give it a try.
    Judy in San Diego
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP: I had the first bottle for a very long time. People often say spices loose their punch quickly, but my experience is that they last a long, long time. My Dizzy Pig rubs get solid a lot, so I break them up with something sharp and the still perform. Maybe it's more humid in IL, so try putting it in glass and not plastic. Whatever it's in, try stabbing some into a powder and give it a try.
    Will do - but Ball is a competitor brand, solid glass canning jar to that "other" brand. 
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    You have me thinking about some lamb lollipops now....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Go big or go home.  Way to go girl. Joetisseri...thinking about asking for one as birthday present.  Will email you.  BTW. Jan 2 2017 is retirement date.  two trikes with riders will be coming your way. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Ron, if you make a big batch, and store n fridge, add some uncooked rice to absorb moisture and prevent clumping.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx