Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's look at some physical facts here

Options
#1 water boils at 212 degrees sea level. #2 most of us cook at a higher altitude than that, unless your cooking under water some how. So, doesn't it make since that the food would be done somewhat lower than that 212 degree temperature, especially the higher the altitude? So it makes since to me that living in West Texas, say 2000 feet altitude, that I should not let the internal temperature of my brisket reach it's water boiling point of 208 degrees. At 208 degrees the water in my brisket is going to turn to steam and at that point all of the moisture is going to pressurize and flat ass leave my brisket DRY! Now, I am not a smart man, but it seems to me that I don't want to break that 200 degree threshold. Preferably stay under 190 or so. Any thoughts?
San Angelo, texas

Comments

• golfandgrill
    golfandgrill Posts: 198
    Options
    Did you inject it with water? I would pull it when It feels done regardless of temp. Doubt The Altimeter is going to matter that much. YMMV.
    Fighting Sioux Hockey
  • brimee
    brimee Posts: 127
    Options

Dunno about that but my brisket always comes out great when I get internal somewhere around 200-210. So I have no reason to change, keep doin what works...

What temp does the fat boil at?/?/?

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My head hurts when I give that much thought to anything :-t .... Ok, I thought about it and damn, my head hurts.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,473
    Options
    It's not water that makes your brisket moist at 200 F, it's melted collagen.  
    Your t-bone, at 125 F, is moist because of water however; because a t-bone has little collagen, if you bring it up to 200 F, the water/juice is driven off, and you have toast.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Brain hurts..... Try this!

www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

A little science is a dangerous thing :) 

The brisket isn't done because the water in it is at boiling point, but because the collagen (a protein) has broken down and the fat has rendered to a certain point (among other things). The boiling point of water at any specific altitude has no bearing on the "doneness" of the food, except for the fact that once water boils, it maintains a constant temp, and so the food itself will take longer to cook at higher altitudes (where water has a lower boiling point).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    Well hell, I should have known that collagen played the major role in fatty meats. For some reason I didn't consider anything but water. It was late at night and I had a few brewskis so there went my ability to think straight. I have cooked really lean cuts such as pork loin and have dried them out terribly but now I realize that it was the absence of the fat content. Thanks guys for your patience and advice. I never stop learning on this forum although I am more a lurker than a poster. Thanks again, Melvin
    San Angelo, texas
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well hell, I should have known that collagen played the major role in fatty meats. For some reason I didn't consider anything but water. It was late at night and I had a few brewskis so there went my ability to think straight. I have cooked really lean cuts such as pork loin and have dried them out terribly but now I realize that it was the absence of the fat content. Thanks guys for your patience and advice. I never stop learning on this forum although I am more a lurker than a poster. Thanks again, Melvin
    Never stop asking when you have a question. That's the awesome thing about this forum, lots of really smart experienced cooks on here that are ready to give their advice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    What temp does fat boil at? For me around 85 degrees.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    And some of us who call an audible as we go!  
    But @DMW has it right-we are all here to learn and improve or eggsperiment with cooks, some of which push the envelope with amazing success.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Anything above 68 for me...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA