Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGEs N' Da' HOUSE! Pic heavy tho'!

Options
I am fortunate to have 2 Big Green Eggs - one is a Large and the other an X-Large!  I saw Egg tables in the BBQ store but wanted to build my own. I talked with a salesman who informed me of the Egghead Forum website! So I checked it out and decided to join.  This is really my 1st post - SORRY SO LONG WINDED BUT SO EXCITED)!! When I saw the Table Forum, I was so excited about all the different tables, designs and features people had built on their own. I took lots of notes, saved many pictures, as well as saved favorites from the website! I took bits & pieces of designs and features from pretty much everybody on the site as well as the Naked Whiz! Key tables that were instrumental for me as a design concept was the one that CAZZY had built! Big Daddy and a few others as well!  

I built MY OWN from ground up!  It truly has been a labor of love!  I've been working on it on and off over the last few months. I added my own touch, such as bilateral umbrella mounts on the table so that I can have shade depending on which Egg I am using at the time and can be easily moved from one side to the other, it has rib umbrella lights for night lighting; I installed flexible low voltage LED Strip Lighting secured underneath the rim edge of the table top that will provide a unique touch as well as illuminate the contents of the drawers in the cart during very early morning & night grilling - check out the night pics; I built a stand to sit on top of the table that has a heavy-duty-telescoping-pole that I can place my Bose Sound Dock 10 system on & listen to tunes while tending to meat.  I also purchased a 37" long flexible extension with three arm sections to mount my iPad, so I can review recipes while preparing to cook or just surf the web.  The back of the table has chains to lower and support a metal shelving rack that will hold hot items off the grill like a plate setter, rib racks, pans, etc.  I had the metal rack and stainless steel drawer pulls POWDER COATED to blend in with the black on the BGE's. I purchased a commercial grade 4-prong electrical outlet to allow for multiple connections of various equipment.  I can run my Harbor Freights gas powered generator as a source of power.  In addition, I am also making my own end grain cutting board to accent the table top as well - not there yet!

OF SPECIAL NOTE, I purchased my BGE Stands from a Master Blacksmith from San Antonio, Texas.  He mailed them to me in SoCal. As you can see from the pics - he did a great job of "metal smithing" the stands.  I've added some pics of the stands themselves because they really "stand-out"!  If any of you are interested in his products, please message me and I'll give you his information.    

Table is made from Western Red Cedar, it is THE best cedar you can buy according to the folks at J&W Lumber (redwood supply company here in SoCal)! Frame is made from Home Depot Poplar wood and sanded smooth pine panel board (see series of pics). The finish is Hellmans Spar Urethane (Marine type) finish - really makes the wood grains stand out!  The table top is made from Cedar board that was straight edged and biscuit jointed; then I added a 3/4" piece of Maple wood as trim to "pop" the table top!  I think it added a nice little touch! 

I am also posting pics of the construction because I know others may wish to see how I did certain things, as well as gain ideas and insight for their own, much like I did from others here on the egghead forum.

Overall, I'm SO happy how it turned out and can't wait to put the table to use! The best part is that I can wheel it around as well as take it to multiple destinations for BBQ!  Who knows, maybe even competition BBQ events!! So satisfied!

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    WOW!  This is the best first post I've seen over the years!  Welcome aboard!
    btw, I also own a L and an XL, both in nests. let me know if you ever want to sell this and build a new one to accommodate the XXL, XL and L 
    :D
    canuckland
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Very very nice. I skipped to the picks and was about to say that this was Cazzy-esque. Fantastic job for a do-it-yourself table, or any table for that matter!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Damn
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Nice first post and nicer table, welcome to the club. Now lets see if you can cook.  =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wow, super nice job!  That makes my table look plain Jane.

On the plus side, it's been over two years and my table finish still looks like new.  That Helmsman is holding up.
    Options
    That is a work of art! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    PMG for King!

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Tony_Wornick
    Options
    Well crud..I was gonna make my first post a table post, but I can't follow after this.  Looks great!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Seriously a SUPER table - thanks for posting it. 

And what a GREAT idea you had there with the umbrella holder, I'll be building a new table this summer and am absolutely going to steal that idea from yours.  Thanks a bunch!

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome table! Welcome aboard

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Egglovin
    Egglovin Posts: 26
    Options
    Sweet Jesus, very nice setup, kudos!
    Grilling in Ga
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    That friggin rocks! Damn nice table.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Good lord, I've never seen so many pictures in a post.  Props just for that.  And your set up looks great!
    NOLA
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Incredible - great work on the table, and welcome aboard.  Where are you in SoCal?
    Santa Paula, CA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bravo sir bravo
    Seattle, WA
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    Very nice table and one hell of a first post! I am curious about what is supporting that shelf the XL is sitting on. She is pretty heavy all loaded up!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Staggering.   

Welcome aboard

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • PMG
    PMG Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks ALL!  Appreciating all the comments!  @GeorgeS - the XL is just being held up by a 3/4 plywood box that is ~24x26 that is Titebond III glued, nailed and screwed.  I weight tested it myself by standing on top of it with 2-25lb dumbells.  NO broken bones from falling thru!  ha! ha!   
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nicely done. I really like the wrought iron work too. 

I don't have a table, but I wonder how hot it's going to get in there with the eggs enclosed on three sides and no cross ventilation. Might be fine, but you should keep an eye on that, Also, when you take a 400° part out of the egg and want to put it on the shelf on the back side of the table... walk FAST! :) I set my grid and/or platesetter down on an old Mini nest on my patio right next to the egg. I pick it up and set it down. 2 seconds. My hands are still hot through the welder's gloves.

I guess that sounded a bit negative, but it was not meant to be. You have built a beautiful table and are justifiably proud of it! I don't know for a fact that the enclosed heat will be an issue, but I would hate it if I said nothing and something bad happened!! Just pay attention, that's all.

Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Man PMG that table is Awesome. It gives me a lot of new ideas I want to incorporate into the one i want to build.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I'd bet a $100 that your blacksmith is Charles. The foundation of the stand is my concept and design. Looking good.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Dayum son, y'all done good!
  • cazzy
    Options
    Table looks awesome!! Damn fine job!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    cazzy said:
    I'd bet a $100 that your blacksmith is Charles. The foundation of the stand is my concept and design. Looking good.
    Hmmm...

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    edited May 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Hmmm...

That's my stand and table.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    me like

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    I was supposed to get a cut for every stand, but he didn't maintain his end of the agreement. Oh well...I still stand behind his work.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    easy come, easy go. eh?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cazzy
    Options
    easy come, easy go. eh?
    Yep!  It's still pretty cool to see something I conceptualized come to life.  
  • cazzy
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Back on topic...totally love your table @PMG  Great work!

I've received a ton of private messages from lurkers and new members over the past few years asking for specs and build info.  I gave Daryn the liberty to run with it veer off the original design mock up so build plans only exist in his head.  I honestly didn't want carbon copies of my table popping up anyway.  

I see the resemblance in your table, but love the ingenuity and spin that you put on yours!   :)