Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Preferred route to 'raised direct'?

Options
Hibby
Hibby Posts: 606
My LBGE sits right beside my 40 year old Weber Kettle. We do burgers a lot and the kettle with Craycort CI grates is my "go to" for direct grilling. I've certainly been toying with grilling on the egg since up to now I've only done pork butt, chicken breast, and pizza on it. I came to a realization today that I don't have any way to do raised direct cooking. I've purchased a CGW swing grate which is on the way to me now but I'm not sure if using the higher grate would really be direct since a lower grate would do some deflecting. What's my best route? Adjustable rack? WOO?
I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    You need to buy more toys for your egg so you can sample ALL the options to compare to your Weber.  I like the burgers on my raised direct large egg grid, i have the CI, but it is too fast and i either have them too well or too rare!  The raised grid at gasket level works great for me and allows me time to control the internal temperatures that my family likes.
  • Hibby
    Options
    Ok but how do you get it raised at gasket level? A legs up plate setter would accomplish that but be indirect.
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    I am cooking direct on a cheapo($18.00) Weber replacement grill which gets supported off the fire ring by 3/8 inch bolts.  This brings it up about an inch above the gasket.  Burgers get a nice sear, and at a reasonable rate of cooking time that i can monitor.  Also nice for toasting the rolls.
  • Hibby
    Options
    Ahhh now I get it. Thanks for the info. For some reason I lack ingenuity hehe
  • Charlie tuna
    Options
    This is the basic setup --  this is some corn and baked potato getting happy before i blackened some redfish on the open spot with a cast iron.  You notice the bolt supports --  at direct.image
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    Options
    I use an AR for raised direct, raised indirect (stone) and I'm soon going to try it for pizza!
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    I have had the CGW swing rack for almost two years and find that the lower grate does not have any perceptible effect on a raised direct cook (using the swing rack as the raised rack).  Many initially use a second grate raised off the main grate with bricks or empty beer cans to get the same result (others use two racks and the bolts or a single rack as mentioned by @Charile tuna). The heat from the direct fire doesn't care about a few grid lines during the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    This allows for raised direct and grilling closer to the fire.  I also use it instead of a plate setter.

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hibby
    Options
    @ragtop99 , would that end up being at felt line?
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    I use fire bricks on top of the regular grid at regular height and put a CI grind on the bricks to raise the CI to felt level. You can get the fire bricks for about $1.00 each at General Shale.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Hibby said:
    @ragtop99 , would that end up being at felt line?
    yes

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hibby
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    +1 on the bricks. I use a Woo on the small.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    The AR with the extender on top is my go-to set up for chicken thighs.  High enough that there are no problems with flare ups and the direct heat gives a nice skin.  Hold the sauce untile the very end or it will burn.  
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I use the AR extender, direct or indirect, with up to three levels 95% of the time.
  • SteveWPBFL
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Here 'tis with chicken, salmon, and ribs indirect, so that's four levels!
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I second the Woo setup. I have the PSWoo3. I addition to raising the grid to the felt level it provides just enough air gap between the grid and the Plate Setter when I'm using my Pizza Stone. The additional third tier 2" down in the fire box does a great job for searing.

I can't say enough good things about the folks at CGS. Tom called me on a Sunday to find out what I was trying to accomplish with my order. He actually saved me from buying things I did not need when I was brand new to this. That's exceptional customer service.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I use two regular masonry bricks sitting on the fire ring.  Brings it up exactly to the level of the felt.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • SteveWPBFL
    Options
    With the AR I 'drop my grate down to the fire level' by putting lump up to the top of the fire ring and using the standard grate. That way you can sear right at fire level but with a few levels that are raised to do reverse sear or whatever.
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Options
    I put my BGE grill grate on the fire ring,
    I have 5 small paver bricks from home depot on edge around the perimeter.
    Then I put my Craycort CI grill grate on top of those.  This puts me right at the felt line.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    I also use fire bricks.  If you go this route, I suggest getting the "half brick".  They are about half the height of a normal brick.  I put three bricks down on the fire ring and then my BGE standard grate.  It's surprisingly stable.  And the best thing is, they are really cheap and can be used in many more configurations.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.