Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas turkey and ham no pic's thankfully.

Options
Well I haven't cooked on a gasser for many years. Christmas is our dinner but with inclement weather coming in and some family having to drive a long way we decide to move the dinner to the in laws. The birds, one spatched and one on a stand were doing very well except for a little extra blackening on the bottom of the spatch. Well don't I go and baste both birds with a melted butter and herb sauce...then walk away for ten minutes. Come back to an inferno and the stand bird, while not on fire like the spatch is burnt from the neck to mid breast. The spatch looks like a marshmallow over open flame. Finally got it pulled out and extinguished with only half of the skin blackened. I shut the oven with the hams down to warm but I guess somebody's sweet potato and marshmallow casserole needed to be browned and they jacked up the heat to broil and pulled their perfectly browned casserole out and left my hams on to broil for a while. This was Egret's maple bourbon ham and it blackened up nicely. Friends do not let friends cook in ovens or gassers

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited December 2012
    Options

I feel for you. Ask to bring a naked ham to Dallas for Christmas. Got up early Sunday, got the Egg ready with smoke and put on ham at 300. Went to shower and get packed, checked on it in about an hour and sitting on 420. Yep had to cut off some of the outside and a slightly dry but served it and no one said anything.

Still looking into that trip in your direction that we talked about.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Any Molson products involved :))
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    You should be ashamed.