Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Today's 'Slap n' Dash' Turkey Chili...real simple!

Options
Fornia
Fornia Posts: 451
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I call this one Slap n’ Dash Turkey Chili…because after I put it all together, I really did what I needed…and didn’t worry more than a stir every so often. This is the second time I’ve used my dutch oven….really like it! Glad I got 2 at Christmas!

I literally slapped together this Chili today. Trying to clean out the pantry of some cans of beans, tomatoes, etc. Used ground Turkey (which I browned on stovetop). Spices we like, and some Yuengling Lager. I actually did log the ingredients/directions…so if anyone wants it, just let me know. Again, nothing earth shattering at all.

Sorry I don’t have better plated (garnished!) photos. I was home alone, and this one will be enjoyed the next few days by us all. The girls have the world’s most sensitive taste to heat, I I made it very mild. Yeah, I know! :angry:

Halfway through my ‘sample’, I added some homemade pickled jalapenos, hot sauce, and shredded cheese. It was dang good!

This was super simple….but real good! Took hardly any time…burned the remaining lump, which allowed me to clean the Egg and reload for tonight’s Butts!

IMG_2883.jpg
IMG_2884.jpg
IMG_2890.jpg
IMG_2891.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Lots of good eating. I have an 8 quart cido and love the food that comes out of it. :P ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Jason, Looks great. I think you should post the recipe.
    You also should make it a point to try Egret's chili. It is my go to from here on out. (sorry Mom ;) )
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks good from here.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    cookn biker wrote:
    Jason, Looks great. I think you should post the recipe.
    You also should make it a point to try Egret's chili. It is my go to from here on out. (sorry Mom ;) )

Thanks Molly!
    I've actually just posted it under the 'Recipes' section on this forum. But if you wanted to print it easy...here it is. This was Killer today over rice by the way!

Going to try Egret's very soon....heard nothing but raves reviews!

Note: Beans/Tomatoes all interchangeable to your like (or pantry!). Also, adding hot peppers and or spices would be great! This is mild!!! :(

Fresh:
    48 oz. Ground Turkey (browned)
    1 T Chopped Garlic

Frozen:
    7 oz. Frozen Diced Onion
    10 oz. Frozen Diced Green Pepper

Canned/Jar:
    15.5 oz.Black-Eyed Peas
    15.5 oz.Kidney Beans (rinsed/drained)
    15.5 oz.Great Northern Beans (rinsed/drained)
    15.5 oz.Pinto Beans (rinsed/drained)
    56 oz. Petite Diced Tomatoes (with juice)
    24oz. Tomato Puree
    28oz. Chunky Crushed Tomatoes (I used ‘Furmano’s w/basil, garlic, and oregano’)
    1 jar Heinz Chili Sauce
    ½ Can Yuengling Lager

Spices:
    3 T Ground Cumin
    1-1/2 T White Pepper
    1-1/2 T Garlic Powder
    1 T Ground Coriander
    1 t Ground Smoked Paprika
    1 t Ground Sweet Paprika
    1 t Ground Chipotle Pepper (optional)
    1 t Cocoa Powder (optional)
    Salt (to taste)

Directions:

Egg setup Indirect with Platesetter (legs UP). Ceramic BGE feet on platesetter, then Dutch Oven on BGE Ceramic feet. 350 dome. Add wood chunks as you desire (with lid ‘off’ to help with smoky flavor).

Brown ground turkey, drain grease. (I did this on stovetop, but can be done on BGE)

Combine all remaining ingredients in 7qt. (or larger) Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Stir.

Add browned Turkey meat. Stir.

I started with the ‘lid on’ for first 30 minutes, then ‘lid off’ for another 2 hrs or so. Stir and keep an eye on things periodically. If too thin, possibly remove lid to allow for evaporation.

Serve as is, or over Rice; garnish your preferred combinations of shredded cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. Enjoy!