It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Cannot help with the Q here at all, but had to comment that you should refer to 9 posts down about a great idea of what to do with the cracked egg once the new one comes.
Above is the method I use. Now that we have perfected the technique, what is everyone's favorite use for them? I personally love roasted red peppers and IMO, they color up and add flavor to just about anything. When local grocery has them marked to 77 cents a piece, I buy up the store and roast away!! They freeze nice, just be sure to separate with wax paper for easy thaw removal. Just the RRR with butter and bread makes a tasty dietary sandwich. My latest experiment was roasted red pepper soup. Took 15 peppers but was thick and rich and full of flavor!thetrim said:I sometimes will do them inside on my gas stove. Using a BBQ Fork or tongs will put them right into the gas flame, put in a ziploc or paper bag for a few minutes, then scrape off the outside w/ a knife.
Hubby was pleasantly surprised!
I wanted to get back to those in this thread who helped me understand jalapenos and the making of chicken bombs. This was our third cook on the Egg and each one has been a huge success thanks to the Egghead Forum and everybody’s willingness to help; especially by not being annoyed when a newbie asks the same old Q’s that you have been hounded with before. As I mentioned earlier, hubby was extremely skeptical about this when I told him what we were making. I followed the same basic recipe as Que_n_Brew using boneless skinless thighs. My only issue was that couple of the thighs could hardly be pounded wide enough to wrap around the stuffed jalapeno boats and skewer through. These chickens clearly were not related to my side of the family, LOL! We foiled sliced potatoes, onion, gr. pepper, and dotted with remaining cream cheese mixture placing them on the main rack while the bombs were placed on the raised rack. This was our first direct heat cook and temps @ the high grill level remained between 280 and 300* and took about 1 hr. 20 min. total. Added a side of fresh steamed asparagus and finished with garden rhubarb sour cream cake and whalaa, oh what a meal!! I know you all like to see the pictures but we are still spending all our time getting it right watching temps, recording the steps. Sorry, I have a one track mind and have never been able to multitask. Still wanted to express my appreciation – hubby actually agreed to do this one again sometime. TY
For instance, we ordered and received both suggested thermometers in time to be used for our first attempt. I believe having them was a crucial contribution to our 1st success. We used a heat gun to start the charcoal with 4 oz. cherry wood chips (non-soaked) and within minutes temps had climbed inside the EGG to 500*. Hubby was in charge of regulating airflow and he did a superb job. He experimented with adjustments to both top and bottom air space to see how quickly temps changed and also made note of the correlation between changes at the dome vs. changes at grill level. While he experimented, I finished preparing the four cost-effective roasting chickens (approx. 4# each) we chose to be our 1st challenge. Our idea was to do 2 in a standing position using beer cups & 2 laid out on a V-rack to get a comparison between them. I also decided to experiment with 2 purchased rubs vs. the Simon & Garfunkel rub recipe I found on Meathead’s website, another valued suggestion from the forum. I used this on the 2 birds laid out on the V-rack. All other prep factors remained constant: dribbled the wine/Lea & Perrins marinade potion I always use to marinade chicken into the cavity; slathered entire surface in a garlic butter blend; patted down select rub inside and out; then popped a celery stalk into each cavity and they were ready for burn side! By now, the dome temp was a steady 325 to 330* while grill level was still making a slow climb and had reached 280. All 4 birds were placed in two drip pans and entered the Big Green kiln at 1:00PM. I poked the breast of one on the V-rack with the food probe. By 3:15, the desired internal 165* was attained and my husband then used the Thermapen on remaining 3 to find that the two in standing position had beaten the probe by 15*. Point taken; next time poke the bird standing at attention.
One of the V-rack birds served as dinner tonight and satisfied 5 hungry adults with enough left over for 3 lunches tomorrow. All meat of the remaining 3 was stripped away from the bones, piled on platters, divided into 4- 24 oz. portions which were vacuum-packed in Food Saver bags for future use in casseroles, soups, salads or sandwiches. All were juicy and fell off the bone easily. Fantastic!
MMmmmm Goooood and though I am belaboring our gratitude:
Thanks a Bunch from Two Cooks!