Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aging Costco meat??

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was a thread on another forum I frequent about dry aging. I posted that I dry age primals from Costco and got a reply that if you look close at the meat you will see tiny holes meaning the meat has been tenderized. This would make Costco's meat very dangerous for dry aging as bacteria would be inside the meat. I don't know if this is true but I'm sure the meat guys at Costco wouldn't have a clue as to whether or not the meat was tenderized before being cryovaced. Anybody have any info on this? -RP

Comments

• uniformly spaced like jacquard?

i have never seen that.

at any rate, someone would need to explain to me why the bacteria inside would be different than the bacteria outside....

assume that all beef is contaminated, that's the safest thing.

if it is a hamburger, then undercooking it will mean there is live bacteria inside, because the exterior of the meat has been worked into the interior, bringing the bacteria to the interior. dangerous, but only when eaten raw. if that beef is refrigerated, it doesn;t matter, because the temps will control the bacteria whether they are internal or external.

even if your prime meat was jacquarded (highly doubtful, but you never know), why exactly would that be more dangerous? assume it HADN'T been pierced, and you were going to age it. the bacteria is now only on the outside. in dry aging, the temps control the bacteria. the air DOES help dry the surface, but that just gives the bacteria a more hostile environment. still, if your temps are off, the dry surface does NOTHING for you really. the bacteria will grow.

i had a fridge that someone bumped to 45+ degrees. the surface never dried because the bacteria formed a slime.

i'm sorry, but if we assume bacteria is always present, there is no reason that pierced meat would be less safe IN THE FRIDGE than non-pierced.

if you bought a fresh steak, one pierced with needles to tenderize it, and one NOT pierced, the n cooked both to rare, the tenderized one would have a higher chance of risky bacteria internally.

people are conflating a very true thing about internal bacteria, but they are applying it to a situation where NO bacteria ought to be growing, internal or external.

you're safe if the temps are safe.

these people don't warn you about eggs, do they? eggs now carry (or can carry) salmonella in them. same issue. it's a NON issue if fully cooked, and risky if not cooked.

see the differences?

folks gotta understand WHAT they are doing and WHY they are doing it. tossing it in the fridge bagged or commando without understanding WHAT is happening is a recipe for disaster.
  • AZRP
    Options
    That's why I'm asking, personally I find it very difficult to believe that they tenderize primals, individual steaks yes, but not primals. -RP
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    I dry age subprimals from costco...never had any problems.

fc
  • even if they did, someone needs to tell us specifically why that would be a bacteria issue. i mean, when aging. it would be an issue if you served them rare (even after aging). but the risk of the bacteria growing while in the fridge is no greater than if the bacteria were external
  • AZRP
    Options
    I've done 4 of them, ate 3 so far, no problems either. I think Stike is right, it shouldn't make any difference. -RP
  • tsheehan7
    tsheehan7 Posts: 105
    Options
    I've always been told that e. Coli lives on the outside of the meat. If the meat is pierced, then essentially the holes in it become "the outside" of the meat. I found this:

"The harmful strain of the bacteria lives on the outside of meat and can only be killed through high heat. As hamburgers are made of ground beef, which mixes the outer and inner meat, they must be cooked thoroughly to kill the E. coli. However, you can enjoy a steak grilled to rare perfection as long as the outside of the piece of meat is cooked."
    [/url]http://www.physorg.com/news134310585.html[url][/url]
  • yeah, exactly.
    my point though is that whether it is on the outside or gets inside from piercing, the two different pieces of beef can be dry aged. it is the temps that make the difference, not where the bacteria are.

the fact that it is IN the meat while aging doesn't mean the bacteria can grow there any more than they can grow when simply ON the meat, when both are held at safe temps

e. coli, by the way, is on your toothbrush, let alone on your beef. and i bet that toothbrush has been out at room temp for months on end.

point being, what exactly makes jacquarded meat more dangerous to age than non? nothing, as far as i can tell.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Those holes create little tunnels and caves that the bacteria can use the escape and elude their natural predators.

Don't you ever watch the Discovery Channel?
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    AZRP funny you should bring this up. Some time ago I was wondering if csotco used a jacquard machine on their cut steaks. The butchers at my local admitted to having used the machine on certain cuts of beef that they had processed at the store (pirmals cut into steaks). The butcher then told me that they dont even open the cryo primals that are out in the fridge case, they come from the processor that way. He also pointed out the table top jacquard machine and stated that he didn't think a primal would fit thru the machine anyways. From this conversation I guessed that the primals are not tenderized and proceeded to buy a NY strip loin primal. Upon inspection at my house later that day as I chopped it into steaks I didn't notice any evidence of the jacquard process. Hope this helps good luck.
  • AZRP
    Options
    Thanks, kind of what I was thinking. -RP
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    For what it's worth I can vouch that the brisket flat I bought last week from Costco had Jacquard type holes in it.
    When I look at the sub-primal they are still in the cryovac pacs.
    My guess is wrap meat may be tenderized but cryovac won't be.
    By the by the amount of Jaccarding was not enough to make me happy so I went after it more.
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    I have a subprimal from Costco that celebrated 21 days in fridge as of today. Went and looked. There is absolutely no indication that this sub was poked. It was cryovac'd when purchased.