Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brisket At The Chicken Ranch - The Movie

2»

Comments

• Hey Spring Chicken,

I like your set-up! How maqny hours did you cook it and at what temp? (dome and internal?)
    ·
  • Thanks. I planned to cook it about 11 to 12 hours @ 225° grid temp (285° dome temp)using an adjustible rig with the point on top and flat on the bottom. I wanted to take it off about 4:30 and start slicing at 4:44.

But about midnight I said to heck with it and lit the Egg and set the Guru at about 210°. I waited until about 1:15 AM and put the brisket on direct from the frig. I figured the lower temperature would allow me some extra time to get some sleep.

Well, I finally got about an hour's sleep from 7:00 to 8:00 Am only to be awakend to go to the hospital for a scan. I quickly checked the Egg. The point was already at 179° so I took it off, wrapped it in foil and a towel and put it in the cooler.

The flat was just coming out of plateau at 168° so I lowered the Guru to abut 195° and rushed to the hospital. Three hours later the flat was holding steady at 190° and did so for another five hours until I took it off. That's about 15 hours total.

We started slicing shortly afterward.

Next time I'll put it on about 6:00 AM @ 225° grid and take it to 190°.

I just had too much other stuff going on this time.

I thought it was a bit dry but others thought it was good. Did have a nice flavor though.

Spring "Sleep Has Its Limits" Chicken
    ·
  • I held off as long as I could considerin that I had the video camera in my hand! Lucky for me Spring Hen took over for a few minutes and I jumped right in there! It was really good and the rub was perfect. I checked the pantry when I got home and found that I too had a bag of the Texas Wild rub compliments of Village Idiot. I think it will be perfect on beef ribs. Gotta go shopping.

The brisket was wonderful (even had a bite for breakfast) and the movie was once again a masterpiece!

Thanks to you and Hen for a special evening.
    ·