Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cracked plate setter

rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
edited 6:47AM in EggHead Forum
Has anyone fixed one after it cracked?

If so some info would be great

It's a clean crack

• Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    RzrRob: JB Weld. Doesn't look pretty, but it should hold for you pretty well. ;)
  • rzrrobrzrrob Posts: 162
    Thank you thank you ;)
  • ChefAlChefAl Posts: 66
    I dropped a cast iron grate on my platesetter and the platesetter lost, but JB Weld fixed it up good enough to not have to buy a new one.

Hope this helps.
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,263
    Yep, JB Weld to the rescue. I broke one leg off of my plate setter about 2 months after I got my Egg. I used JB Weld and two plus years later it is still working fine.

Some tips:

- There are at least two types. One is a set of two tubes and you mix them together. The other is a premixed package that looks like that Mighty Putty stuff where you cut off a piece and smash it together. Go with the two tube set, it works much better IMO. The putty style didn't work as good for me.

-be sure to use clamps to hold the pieces together tightly

- Can't remember exactly but it gives you a range for curing time. Let it cure for the longer time period before using, handling, etc.
    Knoxville, TN
  • Here's a link to web page about a repair I made: Using JB Weld To Repair Ceramic Cookers
    The Naked Whiz