Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

i think the cows must miss us

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
with all this turkey and turducken talk, i'm thinking that the cows must be feelin pretty safe this week. . .so. .. time for a beef post. . .[p]this is an eye of the round i did for 'pit beef' (its a local favorite in the maryland/delaware beaches area). . .really easy. . .eye of the round (or bottom round, or top round - heck just about any part of the round). . .dosed heavily with kosher salt and in the this case dizzy pig red eye express (i was lookin for my cow lick, couldn't find it, so tried the red eye. ..glad i did, cause it made for fantastic pit beef)[p]DSCN0565.jpg .. .on the egg at 350 dome temp, grid on inverted plate setter.. .[p]DSCN0566.jpgpulled it at 135 internal (i like this more towards medium. ..easier to thin slice). .. .takes only about 2 hours for a good size hunk of meat. . .[p]DSCN0567.jpg[p]trick here is you really need to thin slice it . . .shaved, really. . .[p]DSCN0570.jpg[p]for it to be nice and tender as the round is a pretty tough hunk o beef. .. .simply serve it on kaiser rolls with horse radish and/or bbq sauce. . . .really tasty. ...

Comments

• dublin
    dublin Posts: 140
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Very very nice pictures!!!!
    Thx for sharing
    dublin

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Good pics. I'm hungry now. Any wood and how do you slice?[p]CWM
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    i nice big chunk of hickory. .. .[p]i have one of those electric deli style slicers that will allow really thin slices .. .if you are using a knife, make sure its really good and sharp, and just slice against the grain as thin as possible. . .don't worry about even making complete slices. . the thinner the better. .. [p]this would probably be great for your tailgating parties. . a big hunk of meat, a bunch of rolls, horse radish and bbq sauce .. .and you're set. .. .quicker than doing ribs and a whole lot of other stuff. . .

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]That is what I was thinking for the last game. What model of slicer? I've looking for 1 for a long time.[p]Also, what temp?[p]A big fresh French Roll and sauce.[p]CWM[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    i don't remember the brand. . .sydney had won a certificate from speigels catalogue and i got it from there (right at $100.00). .. its not the best in the world but it works fine. .. .[p]temp - 350 dome temp. ..you are roasting the meat fairly quickly. . [p]french rolls would work, the kaiser is a great size roll for a big stack of pit beef (that's what we are used to around here). . .[p]if you go to wess b's web site, he also has a good pictoral on pit beef. . .

• Smokin Joe
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Well, I know I haven't posted in a while - that nasty four letter word beginning with W has gotten in the way of my eggin...[p]BUT, I have been lurking the last few days and haven't stopped laughing out loud. [p]The turkey & turducken dialog wasn't funny enough, but Max I think you just took the cake in your title line. LMAO[p]I love this place! You all are aces!!![p]Joe

• EggMaster
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    IMO the Red Eye Express dosen't get enough attention. It is really loaded with flavor and is by far my absolute favorite on lamb(especially chops). I have also used it on tri-tips, steaks and even my last brisket with good success. Nice pics.

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome, Man-o-man, I sure do like lookin at all these "well seasoned" Eggs. That's what I tell wifey it is anyway. Runs like a well oiled machine when it looks like that.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    And I miss the cows, mad max beyond eggdome. I'm up to my eyeballs in salmon right now. Smoking for family and friends.... JCA

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    J Appledog,[p]Remember, I'm in Peculiar, MO. I had a cold salmon at a dinner in Jax, FL. It was smoked and flaked off real easy. Some of the best salmon I've ever had.[p]Any idea what I'm talking about and can we duplicate on the egg?[p]CWM
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    you stole sydney's gift certificate????

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    your wyoming connection,
    no way. .. i convinced her that letting me have 20% was the right thing to do given that i wrote and sent out all the solicitation letters. . ..