Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Spatchin my First Turkey

Options
Eggvis
Eggvis Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a 9.75 lb turkey and plan on spatchin it...i have no vert or raised grill...was planning straight on the grill at 350. Figured 3 hrs or so should do it. Any helpful hints I can use to ensure success, would be appreciated. (I do plan on a salt coating the night before)

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Eggvis,[p]One thing that caught my eye about your plan ...[p]I'd be leery of NOT using a raised grid at that temp. If you go ahead, keep an close eye it. If there's a lot of fat in the turkey, there will be flareups and possible collections of soot on the skin, IMO. I've done spatched chickens on a RAISED grid where I've had this problem. I'd think the possibility is even greater with a turkey. Could be wrong. [p]
  • Eggvis,
    The 350 is ok for cooking temp, but I would use inverted heat and drip pan. [p]Happy Thanksgiving. [p]
    Jerry

• Eggvis
    Options
    Pakak,
    I haven't had a problem with flare up on any chicken I've cooked, but I don't want to disappoint the family either. I have no raised gri, though a couple of brickes on a pan with holes in it might work...then I can use a drip pan under it!

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Eggvis, Your handle is funny. Very funny. Mine, is not.[p]Eggvis, Step away from the Egg. I fear that if you Spatchcock that puppy direct at 350 for the 2-3 hours necessary, you could have a poultry tragedy on your hands. [p]You can get an additional grid at the Po and raise it with 2 or 3 bricks. Put an aluminum pan on the bottom grid with some liquid and you have some heat deflection and the drippings go in the pan and not in the fire as mentioned below.[p]Scott

• Eggvis
    Options
    Borders,
    I now plan on indirect using bricks and makeshift steel platter w/holes in it....cross thy fingers, oh my brother!