Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onions??

Options
Rascal
Rascal Posts: 3,923
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a few racks of BB's today (thank you, AZRP, for the membrane tip!) and want to do a side of onions. I was thinking of just EVOO and wrapping in foil, but I recall back a ways of some who use DP spices. Any tips on a method... whole, sliced, oil, butter, etc.? TIA!!~~

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I core out the onion,drop the cored pats in the foil.I fill with 1tsp kitchen bouquet,1 boullion cube,2 tnsp parm cheese and 1tbsp butter-foil,salt,pepper and 45 min at 350-raised.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like to core a small hole in the top of a peeled onion, vidalia or texas sweet, add some butter, tablespoon water, a bullion cube flavor depending what you are cooking seasoning/rub of choice and wrap in HDAF. Throw on the BGE for an hour or so.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    I grill onions everytime I make steak or burgers. Just thick slices, evoo, salt and pepper and onto the grill, direct. They char quickly so keep an eye on them.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    either quartered and skewered (marinade them first). or cut a bowl on top and add butter, balsamic, spice, maybe a boullion. wrap in foil and bake. i like the ones skewered
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC00201a.jpg

I like the traditional method of cooking on a grill, but I start off differently that the average cook. Here is what I do.

Step 1 - No photo, but take an onion and slice a little off the bottom so it will sit upright, and slice off the top. Wrap it in clear wrap and micro wave for 2 minutes on high. Wait a minute, then zap it for 1 more minute. Let it rest a couple of minutes. This excites the cells and loosen everything up a little.

Step 2 - Remove the clear wrap, slice some wagon wheel cuts into the onion, add some olive oil.

DSC00193a.jpg

Step 3 - Add some of your favorite beef bullion. I like Herb Ox.

DSC00194a.jpg

Step 4 - Transfer the seasoned onion to some foil and move to the pit on a raised grate, with the top of the foil open so it can get some good smoke flavor. After 15 minutes of so, close the foil.

DSC00195a.jpg

Step 5 - Close the foil for about 45 minutes, check it for tenderness.

If you want, you can set it into a small cast iron skillet, this acts as a heat shield and makes moving it around easy.

DSC00085a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    WOW! That looks good B)
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Some great idea's in this thread. I have done sliced onions in Italian dressing on aluminum foil for burgers. Very tasty.

Bob
    Alex City, Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC04984b.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery